Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matching an old broadcast mic to my Yaesu  (Read 659 times)
AI4HQ

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »

I've just returned to the hobby after being away for several years. I'm working to build and HF station and have a question.

I have Yaesu System 600 I'm using (saving my pennies for a Mark V) and I also have an RCA Type 77-DX television studio mic.  I'd like to make that my SSB mic.  I was about to buy a new Heil mic (and still may) but someone told me this broadcast mic would do a very good job so I thought I'd give it a try.

The mic has been sitting on my bookshelf as a decoration for over a decade and the cord was "dike terminated" sometime long ago. I'll need to rewire it but what I don't know is how to match it to the rig.  I don't know if I can just wire it direct to a modular plug or if a matching transformer is going to be needed.

From what I've read on line, the mic has several impedence settings but the highest appears to be only 250 ohms.  I believe the radio expects 600.  So, is that far enough that some matching assistance is needed?  Anybody have any experience matching old broadcast mics to modern radios?

I appreciate any advice you can give.  Thanks!

Malcolm
AI4HQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »

The impedance matching is not an issue. The ribbon mike however may not have enough output level to drive the radio without adding a preamplifier. It won't hurt to hook up to a dummy load and give it a try. Make sure that the radio does not have a bias voltage (to power an electret mike) applied to the mike connection. I don't think Yaesu does that but I'd check to be sure before connecting the ribbon mike. If it does, put a capacitor in series with the mike to get rid of the bias.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: