Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's been 20 years since I keyed a mic  (Read 723 times)
WB3DLO

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2005, 07:14:05 PM »

I closed my shack down a little over 20 years ago but I'm ready to get back into the hobby.

At the time, I was running a Ten-Tec Omni D into a 4 el tribander and inverted V's for 40 and 80. Mostly CW with some casual rag chewing on SSB. A little contesting and some RTTY.

The Omni and antenna still work FB but am I missing something by not getting one of the new digital wonders from ICOM, Kenwood, etc? I don't want to spend over $1K for a new radio.

Are rigs in that price range that much better than my old Omni D? Should I succumb to "new rig fever" or just be happy with what I have?

Bill
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:05:05 AM »

I'd start out with the OMNI-D.  However, after 20 years I'd be surprised if the rig and your antennas and feedlines don't need some service.  20 years is a long time, whether the stuff's being used or sitting idle.

I still hear and work plenty of OMNI-Ds on the air, but I'll bet most have had a bit of service over the years.  At the least, you might find controls hard to rotate, switches that don't work quite right -- stuff like that.

After 20 years in the weather, your antennas and feedlines probably need repair/maintenance as well.

Get on the air and start having some fun!  The OMNI-D is still considered a good rig, although the newer OMNI family, especially the OMNI-VI+, is better and amazing by comparison.

There aren't any "new" rigs under $1000 that will outperform the OMNI-D.  There are a few in the $2000 range that will.  Ten Tec's newest super rig is the ORION, which costs $3300.

Hope to hear you on the bands!

Steve WB2WIK/6
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:29:37 AM »

By all means, start with the Omni-D. Get your feet wet again before upgrading.
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 07:20:16 PM »

Maybe we'll bump into each other on 40.

I'm hoping to have my IC-740 back on the air this weekend, which is going on 22 years.

73, Chris
N2LJD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:13:42 PM »

I've an Icom 746, Ten Tec 540 (Triton) and Ten Tec 555 (Scout) as my "base station" along with a Kenwood TM-742A for VHF/UHF.  I've listened to some digital ops, but I'm still a CW and phone kinda guy.

Concur with cleaning up and operating your current gear; if you like what one hears on the bands nowadays, then go for the upgrade.  BUT, as has been noted elsewhere, ham radio today's a lot different from 20 years ago.  Be prepared for culture shock.

Hope to work you sometime, good luck!

Joe
WB3DLO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »

What do you mean by culture shock? 20 years shouldn't make that big of a difference should it?
PE1NPG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 06:41:23 AM »

I'm very happy with the IC-718, a great set for a great price. Include the DSP and the narrow CW filter. No need to put more money in, this one has it all.
See reviews on eham. Have fun, 73 de Jean-Pierre PE1NPG.
K8DIT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 09:07:40 AM »

Welcome back Bill. No sense in denying yourself a new rig in light of the advancements in technology since the Omni D. I still have one. I also have a Ten Tec Jupiter which is the 'airy cuttin' edge of IF DSP, and software defined radio, SDR, for about $1k. Features include not having to buy accessory filters, upgradable rom, the ability to gui it to a computer monitor. The import rigs are all processor controlled now but only the expensive ones have IF DSP, none are SDR. It all depends on your perception of what's going on, where things are heading and what kind of a learning curve you want to pursue. You have the gear now to listen to the on air discoussions and judge for yourself. You have also figured out how eham works so you can read the reviews and forums. Have fun!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 09:07:23 AM »

Welcome back!

The Ten Tec Omni-D is a decent performer, even by today's standars.  As Steve, WB2WIK/6 pointed out, there are certainly better rigs but the inexpensive ones (including the IC-718 someone recommended) will NOT outperform what you have.  Sure, there are niceties in the newer rigs and the better ones are, well... better at pulling out weak signals from the mush or from next to stronger signals.  Still, your old Ten Tec is no slouch.

It's all a matter of what you want to spend.  The conversations will certainly be the same.

Caity
K7VO/8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: