Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEST UPGRADE  (Read 759 times)
TEMPLEHALL

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2005, 05:45:05 PM »

I have a kenwwod st-180 and would like to upgrade.I like cw and phone, but love swling.Is there one unit out there that would be good for a small station.It would need it to be reasonable....not much pocket money but would love to upgrade to one unit that would be used for everything.

thanks for the help

david
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:53:57 AM »

David, I think you meant to say you have a Kenwood TS-180. I never heard of a ST-180. The TS-180 is a good radio but it was manufactured about 25 years ago and I think it's ham-bands only. Today, most transceivers are general coverage receivers too so you can combine your hamming and SWLing activities into one box.

If you're watching your pennies, the Yaesu FT-840 and Icom IC-718 are good, modestly priced rigs. The Icom 706MK2G and Yaesu's similar radio are also very good but a little more expensive than the 840 and 718. Alinco makes a couple of good HF rigs too that are also general coverage.

Good luck.
73, Dave, N4KZ
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »

For best audio, the ts 570 wit or with out 6 meters or for a dc to daylight  get a ts 2000.. great audio, 160 to 10 m plus 6m 2m and 440 mhz,, and it is also general coverage.. and that great kenwood audio
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 09:16:46 AM »

The TS-180S had an excellent receiver.  If you move from that, particularly if you are used to the dual CW filters, to a low end rig like a Yaesu FT-840 or an Icom IC-718 I don't think you'll consider it an upgrade.  Sure, you'll have general coverage receive and memories, but you won't see any improvement on receiver performance and will go backwards on filtering.

The Kenwood TS-2000 is an equally poor choice.  Yes, it covers from DC to daylight, but you will be amazed how noisy a receiver it has.

The TS-180S was top of the line in it's day.  To really upgrade you need to go to at least midline in today's market.  Someone mentioned a Yaesu FT-1000 Mark V and that would truly be an upgrade, as would an Icom IC-756ProIII or a Ten Tec Orion.  

I honestly think the bottom of the line Ten Tec Argonaut V I now have is better than my old TS-180S, but Ten Tec always focused on receiver performance over bells and whistles.  An Elecraft K2/100 would also be a real upgrade to a rig with an excellent receiver.  You would have to buy used or have someone in Elecraft's builder program put one together for you if you aren't up to building it yourself.  OTOH, the K2 has one of the best receivers on the market today.

So... do you want bells and whistles or solid performance?

Caity
K7VO/8
VE3EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »

You'll find a hi serno TS850S/AT very, very difficult to beat. Folks are still chasing "killer specs", yet the '850 has had them since Day 1.

Try to find a serno of 5MM or higher - preferably a 7MM and you'll never look back.

The only downside is the bar graph "meter", but the 850 has provision to drive a real external meter.

Kenwood got this one *right*.

Wayne
VE3EFJ
WA2AR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 06:47:41 PM »

I agree. The TS-850 is a real winner. The 1000mp would be in the top line rigs and not necessary. The TS-850 is a radio that you will never regret getting and is a much improvement over the TS-180. In fact, I would put it over the Icom 751A (although great) or anything else in it's class. Plus you can get a beauty for around $800-950. Sounds like a steal to me.
WA2AR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:49:49 PM »

2nd choice would be Yaesu FT-990. Third Icom IC-751A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: