Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: station setup for a person with a Disablity...  (Read 583 times)
K0AZV

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »

My wife and a friend, both disabled, are currently studying to take their Tech tests the end of October. I'm not quite as concerned about the setup for my own station but the friend's is the one I want to make sure I have right. Both my wife and her friend have conditions that effect the upper extremities to a point where handling a handheld mic will be difficult at best. The suggested setup for her friend would include a mobile 2meter rig setup as a base. I'm looking for input/ideas/personal experience with setting up a station for this kind of scenerio. A boom mic with an inline mic switch seems to be the best bet but what setup is best for wiring into say an Icom V8000 or other type rig with a RJ-45 modular connector.

Thoughts, suggestions, and personal experiences are welcome.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:23:29 PM »

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/traveler.htm

There are models prewired with the RJ modular connector preinstalled, and tested to work with just about any transceiver on the market (various part numbers depict the configuration).

These things sound great and have every feature you were asking about.

GL to your XYL and friend!

WB2WIK/6
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 04:53:58 AM »

I may be wrong on this, but isn't there (wasn't there) an organization called "Handi-Ham(s)" or something similiar? Perhaps the ARRL web site may have something on this. I'm sure there are organizations of hams with disabilities that could offer help and advice. Good luck.
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 05:22:41 AM »

I just found this site: www.handham.org

They may be able to help. Seems like a good organization to join.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: