Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Shack - 2/6 Meter SSB  (Read 2472 times)
ZAKIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 01:42:15 PM »

Okay, that helps a lot! I will keep all of that in mind when I buy equipment... and I'll probably end buying a beam for use on 2 or 6 meter SSB! What cable would people recommend for 2/6 meter installations? Also, this is probably a dumb question, but what keeps cable from becoming tangled when using a rotor?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 03:26:47 PM »

For short runs (50' or less) RG8X "mini-8" is fine, for 6m or 2m.  For longer runs (100') I'd go to RG-213/U.  For runs longer than that (maybe 150'), I'd switch to LMR400 flex, or 9913F7, or CXP1318FX or similar low-loss flexible .405" diameter cable.

Rotators only go around 360 degrees, or sometimes a bit more (maybe 400 degrees), they have "stops" and don't keep rotating.  You only need a 360 or 400 degree "loop" in your feedlines, right where the mast rotates above a fixed point (like another mast below the rotor, or a tripod, or a tower), long enough to make a full loop without stress, to provide strain relief for the cables.  Usually, this uses up a few extra feet of feedline for each antenna.

WB2WIK/6
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 05:10:54 PM »

Well Zakir,

Back in the day when I was a young pup and off to college, I lived in an apartment which is just one rung up the ladder from a dorm. I used a Hustler mobile antenna system on HF and ran QRP with an old (new then) TenTec ARGONAUT 505. I worked alot of stateside and DX but of course the HF bands were a bit more active then.

My recommendation, depending on where you live, is to one of two things or maybe both. I would investigate operating mobile on 6 and higher with the 706MKII. I would also get (buy or build) a set of portable antennas for portable ops for 6, 2 and 70cm. These could be designed (if built) to foldup/disassemble into a neat tidy package for storage in the car or dorm room. A 2 ele quad on 6M is easy to build, give decent gain (appx 3-4dBd) and the 706MKII does 100W on 6M. I have a setup like this I use with my FT-100D mobile and portable.

If you have the room in the dorm, like on a balcony, try the quad or a 6M loop. If your high enough up, you should get decent coverage with either.  

You'll need a 20A 12V supply for the 706MKII.

Look through the ARRL Handbooks and Antenna Books for some ideas, but most of all, have fun. Good Luck in school. Email off forum and I have some info on building quick and easy portable quads for 6M and 2M. Just lookup call on eham.net

Gene KI6LO
K3WAS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 06:46:10 PM »

Zakir,
I'm a newbie to 2m and 6 meter sideband as well. I have enjoyed making low power contacts when the bands are open. They are not open very often, so you will have to be patient!

This summer, I was driving across the country monitoring the 6m calling freq. For 2 days, nothing heard. Day 3, there was an opening for about 1 hour. I was using an FT-817 portable and the antenna was a quarter wave whip on a mag mount on the car. After making 5 contacts of 600-800 miles, I went home, entered the calls into the log and then realized that the FT-817 was left on 500mw power output.

Recently, I have been monitoring the 2m ssb channel 24/7. I have a buddipole dipole antenna inside my house upstairs, and I have a 35 watt amp. When the band opens, I have so far made contacts beyween 200 and 400 miles away. Without good band conditions, I can talk locally as far as 20 to 40 miles max.

I do have a small gain antenna ordered and look forward to trying it out:

http://www.elkantennas.com/2m4405element.htm

My point is that it is possible to have some fun on the band without running a big gun station, but you will have to be patient and wait for good conditions!

Enjoy!

Mike
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 05:09:52 AM »

My 6M SSB contacts have been made using a variety of antennas including:

Comet 6m/2m/70cm base antenna
M2 6M Loop
MFJ 3EL on a Radio Shack rotator
Little Tarheel II (mobile)
Par 2EL Moxon

My best DX, suring a solid band opening, was Charleston, SC to the Canary Islands using the M2 6M Loop.

If 6M is open, you can make contacts with a bent coathanger.  If it is not open, a 4bay, 15El array on a 100' tower and a full gallon linear might not get you anything.

The best approach with 6M is to put up what antenna you can manage and LISTEN!

Dennis KG4RUL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

>RE: 1st Shack - 2/6 Meter SSB  Reply  
by KG4RUL on September 30, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
If 6M is open, you can make contacts with a bent coathanger. If it is not open, a 4bay, 15El array on a 100' tower and a full gallon linear might not get you anything.<

::That's what a lot of people might think, but it's not really true.  I did have a 6m station for many years that had four stacked large yagis at 75' above ground and 1500W PEP output, and a station like that actually opens the band.  Seriously.  There was *never* a time I couldn't make 1000-mile contacts on 50 MHz SSB, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, with that station.  Didn't matter what conditions were.  When conditions were enhanced, the 1000 miles became 2000-3000-6000-9000 miles, depending on propagation.  But I used to hold daily skeds between my home QTH in NJ and several other similarly equipped six meter guys in IL, WI, MN, SC and GA, all of whom were 650 to 1000 miles away, and never a day went by that we could not complete contacts.  Back when Rich, WB2OTK used to be active on six from EM84 in western SC and I was in FN20 in northern NJ, we could chit-chat via random meteors any day of the week, just like a telephone call.  -WB2WIK/6  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: