Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Monitor Scope?  (Read 550 times)
K3ASA

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »

Is this a piece of equipment thats really Necessary in a station? Tks 73 de K3ASA
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:52:54 AM »

No.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »

When it comes right down to it, a Radio is not even 'necessary' in a ham shack. If you have a computer and an Internet connection, you can communicate across repeaters around the world via WinLink.

What is "necessary," depends entirely upon what you intend to do. If all you are going to do is ragchew on a 2/440 net, you can probably live with just a radio and whatever it requires for a power supply.

On the other hand, if you are building your own radios, or doing significant modification to existing radios, you may find it extreamly handy to have a wide variety of test equipment available. You may find it handy to have a spectrum analyzer to see if your low pass filter is attinuating the various harmonics of your rig before someone sends in complaints about your chatter showing up on their pots and pans.

Likewise a station monitor scope may give you a good idea of whether or not you are overmodulating your SSB transmitions. (Note: I don't know how to read a scope for that, the sample screen shots I have seen look like a block of noise to me.)

Is it Necessary? Sort of like a light bar on your car. For the vast majority of amatuers, probably not. For those that are into experimenting it may be a bare minimum tool.

For what it costs to pick one up on E-bay, you might want to consider it, but again if you don't know what you are going to be looking for on it, it's probably a waste of your money. You might be better off picking up a good cross needle SWR meter.

That's mostly just my opinion however.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: