Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Rig ... Can not decide!  (Read 691 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2004, 05:24:46 PM »

I know everyone has their preferences but I would like some input on this matter. I am considering either a Kenwood TS-530 or the Yaesu FT-101ZD. Both have WARC bands, digital displays and the Yaesu has AM. Other than personal preference, is there any logical reason I should consider one over the other? Pro's and Con's?

Both rigs work and both are the same price.

Thanks in advance and 73

Jim - ke4iza

generalemail@comcast.net
CA3RVF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 09:32:56 AM »

Being both hybrid rigs it is important to check the availability of driver and final tubes.

The TS-530 uses the same 12BY7A driver tube and 6146B final tubes that my TS-820S, which are available from several sources.

I'm not sure which tubes the FT-101ZD uses but I'd check is those are as readily availabe as the ones for the TS-530.

73's

CA3RVF
KB8NJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 10:24:37 PM »

In Ham Radio the old addage goes something like this....If it doesn't move ground it!...If it moves
chase it down then ground it...I have recently seen
several posts from Hams on the 2'd floor with all kind of problems that seem to be tied to grounding issues..
You might want to check a few out..All I read was good sound advice....SK
KB8NJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »

In Ham Radio the old addage goes something like this....If it doesn't move ground it!...If it moves
chase it down then ground it...I have recently seen
several posts from Hams on the 2'd floor with all kind of problems that seem to be tied to grounding issues..
You might want to check a few out..All I read was good sound advice....SK
KB8NJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »

Wrong post sorry Gents....Operator Error!
N4ARI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 08:02:13 AM »

A tough call! They are so similar. Even the driver and finals are the same. The decision will be in the 'feel' of the two if you can sit in front of them. Of course if AM interests you, the 101ZD is the pick.
www.rigpix.com has an owner's manual on line for the Yaesu if you want to see it closer.
AD6ZU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 01:58:51 PM »

If you still haven't decided, here are a few other things to consider:

The 530 covers WARC bands, some of the early models of the 101ZD do not.  The 101ZD has a preselect which adds a tiny bit of complexity to the tuning process, but makes for a more selective receiver.  The 101ZD has an input for a separate receive antenna.  With the 101ZD, you can eliminate adjacent QRM via the bandwidth control, on the 530, you have a fixed bandwidth and can only use IF shift.  This lets you use the 101ZD as a good CW rig without the need for a CW filter until you can afford one, or you may be satisfied with the variable bandwidth by itself.

I would personally choose a TS-830S over either of these, but if you had to choose one or the other, you will not go wrong with either so long as the rig itself is in good condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: