Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Desk-rear access  (Read 762 times)
K0XU

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

I want to build a new operating desk and am looking for some ideas. I made a mistake with the first one I built years ago and it ended up in a room that was too small to set it up so that I could walk around the back of everything. Now with 6-10 antenna feedlines, 2-3 HF rigs, amp, several VHF-UHF rigs, a couple of computers, interfaces, monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. there is a horrible tangle of cabling there behind the desk that I can't easily get to. This summer I plan on setting up a bigger shack with enough space to set my desk up so that I can get to the back of everything. What I am looking for is suggestions for cable management and getting maximum versitility in the 8-10 foot long, ceiling high space I want to build. What have others done? Doors on the back? Trays for cable runs? Shack is in basement so the top of desk will probably fastened to floor joists to keep it in place. What kind of shelving do you use? Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jim
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 05:45:11 PM »

I use "panduit" wire duct (3") to contain my cables and wiring.  You can get it at an electrical supply center or from "Grainger.com".  It is used in industrial electrical control cabinets to keep wiring in place.  It is plastic, can be cut with a hacksaw, and wire can exit from anywhere along the length due to the finger-sidewall.  When you are done, a cover snaps over it and hides everything.

If you need to re-route a wire, pull the cover off, find the wire/move it/fix it, and put the cover back in place.

I am building a new desk myself.  Radios are overhead and on a wheeled frame.  Computers along the side and monitors on a table.  If I need to get behind the operating position, everything will "wheel out".

Mike
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:24:57 AM »

I have a rack type desk that is on casters. I can swing it out from the wall when I need to get behind it and then put it back against the wall when I'm finished. I minimize the cable runs to the rack by having all the switching on the wall and the power distribution in the rack. Only a couple of coaxes, a network cable, and a power cable exit the rack.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »

I am in the basement also, up against the cinder block exterior wall.  My lines enter the house where the base of the outside siding  meets the block. The wall behind my desk/ bench is about 9 feet from side to side. I built a 2x4 frame to support my desk which is a solid cherry door 3 feet by 7 feet that I dug out of a trash bin where it had been removed from an office building which was getting a renovation. Beautiful piece of wood.
  I stapled a retired window drape which worked out to be perfect in size to cover the whole wall and from ceiling to desktop. It hangs about 4 inches in from the wall and hides all my wires . When I need to work back there it simply lifts out of the way, plus it is a sound and dampness barrier and is much prettier and cleaner than the raw block.
  On top of the desk I put a set of bookcase stereo speakers laying on their side they provide support for half of a bi fold closet door, also cherry from the same trash bin. This provides enough clearance for my 3 hf rigs to slip under and also allow space for me to hang a couple mobile rigs, antenna tuner, coax switch and tenna rotator control box. I have also attached mike booms and goose neck lamps to this shelf. On top of this sits my monitor and stereo amplifier as well as various microphones I have collected .
    Another feature is a piece of tempered glass from a neighbor's discarded storm door fits nicely on top of the desk to allow for tuneup charts, band-plans and various notes and qsl cards to be always available for viewing  but free from harms way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: