Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS480SAT or FT897  (Read 754 times)
OK1NZJ

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:30:18 AM »

Hi friends,
I am just thinking about my new rig. I cannot decide between Yaesu FT897 and Kenwood TS-480SAT. Missing VHF, UHF in 480SAT are not important - my QTH is not good for this bands and my 817 is for them OK. And missing ATU in 897 is not important too - I have good manual tuner. I am mostly using digital modes and SSB. Is here anybody who is able to compare these two rigs and help me?
TNX Zdenek, OK1NZJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 09:14:13 AM »

I'd pick the 480SAT.  Bigger heatsink means more thermal margin for the power amplifier.  Larger, easier-to-use front panel (even though it's "separate") is more user friendly and display is easier to read, especially at angles.  And the audio (transmit modulation quality) is absolutely excellent, while the 897 is acceptable but not as good.

Even though you have a good manual tuner, the auto tuner in the 480SAT is good, fast and quiet and will spoil you.  It's very useful unless you're using very mismatched antennas, and might even let you put away your manual tuner -- or sell it.

WB2WIK/6

JOHNNE507

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »

Hey WB2WIK,

I am considering the Kenwood as well.  Do you know how difficult it is to change the keyer speed?

Thanks!

J
WK0F

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »

I'm not Steve, but I think I can answer that!  You push the 6 key (labeled KEY on the button), and turn the multi knob to the speed you want.  You don't have to hit the Key button again to make it functional.  In fact, if you anticipate changing speeds alot, just leave it in that sub-menu.
Terry, WK0F
JOHNNE507

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »

Thanks, Terry!  I may have to check the 480 a little closer.  I don't wish to have to step through a bunch of menus to QRS.

Thanks,

J
VE3EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:25:01 PM »

I've owned both and have used them as a "base" radio. In a way we are comparing unequally - the TS480 does not go above 6M. However there is no doubt in the HF domain - the TS480 excells. Mine is screwed to the bottom of the desk - all you need is the remote head, and you don't even need THAT as it drives from a laptop quite nicely.

The FT897 is essentailly a high powered FT817 and its far too heavily menu oriented, altho Yaesu did a reasonable job giving you quick access once set up.

The performance and the flexibility of the TS480 exceed its price. While "looks" may not be attractive to some you can just drive it from a computer and forget the control head.

I recognise that the 897 has a somewhat different orientation, but on the operating desktop I believe the TS480 is preferable between the two. I still have the 480; the 897 is long gone.
OK1NZJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »

Hi friends!
Tnx to all - just yesterday I have bought a new Kenwood TS-480SAT. From my home QTH is no possible to transmit on VHF/UHF with 100 watts - I need a good HF rig - and no much expensive :-) From you answers - hope that 480SAT was a good buy. I am just sitting in my hamshack and playing with my new toy and learning all about it :-) Thank once more everybody who wrote me!
73 Zdenek OK1NZJ
WK0F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »

Zdenek, Congratulations on the acquisition of this fine rig!  I really love mine!  Here is a great group to ask questions about the 480.  I have found the archives to be a wealth of information!
73 de Terry, WK0F
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 07:56:27 AM »

Congratulations for your new ts480!
I was in your place some week ago... My election was ts480 200 watts for my new yagi steppir.
Is an incredible combination!!
Best regard
Jose
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: