Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shack Surface  (Read 606 times)
K8AG

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »

Becoming a grampa recently I was "encouraged" to give up the territory I had acquired when the baby's father left home, so they could bring the baby to visit.  I was determined that, if I was going to a smaller room, I would benefit from it.  For years I had been operating from a medium sized desk.  I always needed more elbow room, especially for sending CW.  I got a microphone boom and studio mic (on sale) to give me more room, but it still didn't have the depth needed for proper hand position during CW QSOs.

For my birthday, I got my wife to buy me a 36" wide replacement door from the local megahardware.  I also got a cheap paintbrush and some water soluable sealer.  Laying it on a couple of 2-drawer file cabinets from a local business that was shutting down (There's a lot of that in Michigan now.) I gave it several coats of the sealer.

Now I have plenty of room for my straight key, paddles, scratch paper, keyboard and mouse.  So my room is smaller, but my operating desk is huge.  I actually like it better than before.

Now to work on the baby about getting her ticket.  Might have to wait until she's 4 or so. Wink

73, JP, K8AG
WD8JWJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »

Cheapest large flat surface you could ask for. I have used Luan door blanks for years. Blanks have no holes for the doorknob.
My radios set on a 30" one. I cut two 1/2" ends for mine. Required some additional support underneith especially when the 45lb amp was set upon it. The file cabinets are an excellent idea as they are just the right height.
Even a couple of saw horses will work. Its the Shack you know.

73, Bill

PS Doors are 80" tall (or long)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:01:15 PM »

hi,

good idea !

stop by your favorite homecenter or lumber yard
and ask for a interior door slab.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print