Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio desk/table sources?  (Read 1233 times)
KB3KYO

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2006, 05:03:33 PM »

Where are you folks finding deep desks or tables for your radios?  I saw a pic of one neat shack where the large radios were arranged on the lower level, and there was an upper level with the smaller rigs.  I'd rather find something commercially available since I'm no woodcraftsman.

thx!

73 KB3KYO
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »

Just about every office furniture and office supply dealer has desks that are suitable for radio use.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3LFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »

Check out used furniture stores,i found
a real nice vintage wood office desk for
$100.00. For an exter twenty they delivered
it for me. I bought some pine 1"x 12" and
built the shelves and stained them to a
close match. I am no "wood woker" either
but making the shelves is not hard. Measure
twice,cut once! Stay away from the computer
hutch/kit desk stuff. They all seem to be
made of flakeboard,cheap stuff. Will sag and
crack with any amount of weight!! I like my
boat anchor radios, and have two on the desk
now plus three solid state rigs,antenna tuner,
three speakers,power supply,amp etc. The desk
has not even flinched!!!
kb3lfd
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »

I found some excellent tables at IKEA, I have two of them.  They are 36 inches deep and I have them about a foot away from the wall for cabling and other access.  If I had more room, I would make that two feet so I could actually walk back there.

However, I do have some photos of these but I think I took them off of my web site as a link.  But, the page is still there that you can reach by the URL http://www.k7peh.com/ShackRemodel.html.

These are strong with a metal frame and legs and metal stretchers under the table top so there is no sag at all.  Best part is that it cost only $90 or about that each.  I also got a drawer set that matches the same wood coloring and this cost about $150 or so and it fits underneath the tables.

Not everyone has an IKEA near them but I believe you can order these and have them delivered.

An alternative for a big nice table top is to go to Home Depot or your other store of similar ilk and buy an unfinished solid-core 36 inch door blank.  Make sure you buy one that is not framed in a door jamb and cut for a door knob.  These are about $70 each.  Building a set of legs is easy even for the non-woodworker but if you want, the most common solution is to use two short file cabinets as the anchor legs on each side.  There are two drawbacks to this solution.  One, the file cabinets size will put the table top about two inches higher than it should be.  Two, the file cabinets take a lot of valuable leg room.
N5UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:05:52 PM »

I used to want a nice desk, but to have a quality layout, you really have to be creative and piece something together...or be prepared to add on as you get more gear.

I use just a plain, simple, 60" by 36" folding-desk table from Office Depot for $40.00.  It's cheap, movable, replaceable in a pinch (though I haven't had to yet), and above all, VERY durable.  I've had 3 HF tube rigs, a full-size 17" monitor, power supply, and other stuff on this desk.  Hasn't buckled yet.

To give myself more "vertical" space, I built my own wooden shelves, then stained them to look the same as my desk.  Look at my shack on QRZ.com, you'll see how it's designed. Only change I've made is that I added some cinder-block supports underneath the desk now that I've added an Ameritron 811H amp.  It's kinda redundent, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Don't get the plastic tables kind, get a hard-wood one with the banded metal underneath.

Now if you plan to build a shack to rival W1AW, then this won't work in the long run...but I've maxed out my space now, so it's a perfect (and very cheap) solution that's required less than $100.00 total cost over the last 5 years!
N5UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:06:56 PM »

And by the way, I ain't no craftsman neither...just know how to saw some wood bits and cobble something together...
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:53:08 PM »

Recently been asking myself the same question. The blank door a good idea. Then, perhaps a couple of sturdy wood "horses". You know, scaled down versions of those found on road repair sites. Think they sell them in art stores as supports for flat drafting tables.

Not fashionable but might work.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »

Excerpted from an earleir posting of mine here....

" I built a 2x4 frame to support my desk which is a solid cherry door 3 feet by 7 feet that I dug out of a trash bin where it had been removed from an office building which was getting a renovation. Beautiful piece of wood.

On top of the desk I put a set of bookcase stereo speakers laying on their side they provide support for half of a bi fold closet door, also cherry from the same trash bin. This provides enough clearance for my 3 hf rigs to slip under and also allow space for me to hang a couple mobile rigs, antenna tuner, coax switch and tenna rotator control box. I have also attached mike booms and goose neck lamps to this shelf. On top of this sits my monitor and stereo amplifier as well as various microphones I have collected .
Another feature is a piece of tempered glass from a neighbor's discarded storm door fits nicely on top of the desk to allow for tuneup charts, band-plans and various notes and qsl cards to be always available for viewing but free from harms way. "
N6HCM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:52 AM »

i just got a 36" anthrocart (see http://www.anthro.com/ for details).  the "cart" lets me do two things: i can move the equipment out of the way when i need to, and i can easily get around to the back to manage cabling when i need to.

every month they seem to have a sale featuring a few of their more popular pieces ... you usually have to assemble the stuff when it arrives, but it comes together pretty easily and they provide all the tools required in the box.  

the furniture is pretty sturdy and solid, and most of their stuff is easily expandable ...
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »

1) Plywood door picked up from a hardware store for a song as it has a scratch on one side. The scratched side goes underneath and nobody will ever know.

2) Two two-drawer filing cabinets from a shop selling reconditioned office furniture.

Make sure you put some screws through the top of the filing cabinet and into the frame of the door. If you don't your desk will tip over the first time you put something on the back (been there, done that).

Total cost 20,000 Forint or about a hundred bucks.

HA5RXZ
JOHNNE507

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »

Hamdesk.com
N4HEP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »

I bought something simular to this http://www.iacindustries.com/series_2_6.htm
used and abused from my workplace (manufacturing environment) for next to nothing. Cleaned it up, made repairs, added an extra instrument shelf on top of the additional shelf, for all my "stuff".

If that had not been available, I have to agree with the gentleman that recommended 2 used file cabinets, & adding a workbench top (or door) on top.
WB2TPS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »

A solid door makes a great table and I used one for years.  During the last shack rebuild I was looking for something more furniture like. (read,  the wife insisted I clean up the shack)
Bush furniture makes desk modules in a variety of shapes and sizes.  They are very strong, have a Formica top and come in various colors.  As a bonus they have cutouts for wires and cable trays on the back apron.
My configuration is a large ā€œUā€ that holds two radio stations, computer, printer, etc. and a second, non-radio, computer  position.
The tables can be fitted with drawers and keyboard slides.  Bush has top shelving options, but I built shelves to fit and stained them to match the Formica tops (cherry)
Staples and Office Max carry the line.

Jim
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

I got some 36" wide interior doors from Lowes.  Set those on top of 2 drawer file cabinets.

I'm now considering LED lighting for key places.

73, JP, K8AG
K3UG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »

Take a look at www.craigslist.org .. I often see many used desks listed in the FREE area..  

Usually there are pix too..

Craigslist has listings for most of the larger (and some smaller) cities in the US.

Here's an examople of recent SF Bay listings:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=desk

GL!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: