Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which rig to buy  (Read 1592 times)
G7SJD

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2005, 05:34:23 PM »

hi everyone,just like your input on where to go next,we recently purchased a people carrier/day van over here in the uk,obviously my thoughts have turned to hf mobile or portable operations from the vehicle.i currently have a ft 847 and smart tuner,which i considered installing into the vehicle,however there is little space in the front of the vehicle so operations would be restricted to portable/static work also this would involve fitting and removing the radio every trip .i also have the ft 817 which i used in my last vehicle it fitted near perfect into a box below the exsisting car radio.the lack of a suitable mounting bracket and its low output power are against it.i have therefore decided to purchase a dedicated radio for the vehicle with a detachable head and install it permantly and just removing the head for security.i am considering a screwdriver type antenna as the roof is high so clearance and changing ham sticks could be a problem.i also share the vehicle with my wife and she would prefer a subtle instalation.i am however on a restricted budget the xyl would prefer me to use exsisting radio static mobile but the prospect of intercontinetal chat whilst driving is very appealing.i dearly love the 847 but it is to my mind a better radio for vhf/satelite work than (hf.receiver side and no vox spring to mind)i would therefore like a more hf oriented radio,the new icom 7000 would be the top end of my budget leaving no real funds for an antenna,i would have to go for the smartuner/and tank whip option.the ts 480sat appeals the built in atu would allow me to use a dipole when parked up,and also the head unit could be moved easily to various locations in the vehicle.i would just about scrape to a few ham sticks/mount or a bug catcher.the very latest over here is that i can now buy the ft857 and the atas for the same money as the kenwood.i have looked at the yaesu i find its design a little quirky it aint pretty i also need a seperation kit and would be harder to move about once installed on the dashboard.if you read the above you will see there are too many thoughts clouding my judgement.i am new to hf mobile and with no practical experience,i am unable to borrow or obtain on demo any of the rigs i am interested in nor. do i know anybody who runs hf mobile to try there instalation.so what would you compromise on,do i go with yaesu is the 857 a good rig,why so many s/h for sale is the atas120 prone to problems with water.is the ts480sat a good hf radio with substancialy better performance than the yaesu,enough to justify having to wait for the screwdriver ant.will the icoms introduction and its clever features cause the other manufacturers to discount again will the small difference in price cause icom to sell the ic 706 at a reduced price.am i missing something is there a mobile bracket for a 817 if i used it mobile with say a high sierra sidekick would i get reasonable results.your input will be very greatfully received.your thoughts on ease of operation ,especially when you relise in england your left hand is spare and the radio will be mounted to the left of the driver.thanks sean g7sjd
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:48:07 AM »

I'm gonna get flamed for this but ...

(1) Learn how to: write using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, put proper punctuation at the end of sentences, put spaces between sentences, break up writing into paragraphs. Your posting is almost impossible to wade through.

(2) Go to www.k0bg.com and read everything on the site. It will answer 99 percent of your questions.

(3) Forget the 817. Mobile and QRP are not a good combination if you actually want to talk to anyone. Doing a good HF installation is much more involved (and costly) than installing a 2m rig.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »

>RE: which rig to buy  Reply  
by N3ZKP on December 20, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
I'm gonna get flamed for this but ...
(1) Learn how to: write using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, put proper punctuation at the end of sentences, put spaces between sentences, break up writing into paragraphs. Your posting is almost impossible to wade through.<

::Why would you get flamed for telling the truth?  Henry Higgins would be very disappointed that the mother land for the mother language hasn't taught its subjects any better than this.

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:04:41 PM »

Steve:

Unfortunately, it's not only the Queen's subjects that are guilty of an almost total lack of writing skills. There have been more than a few on this side of the pond, as well.

I attribute it to a generation/mentality that lives in online chat rooms and feeds on text messaging. I don't know about the UK, but this country is fast becoming a land of people who cannot communcate with any lucidity on the printed page OR in person.

If eHam and QRZ.com are representative of the population at large, we are in BIG trouble!

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
G7SJD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:37:56 PM »

is this a forum for for amateur radio .i asked for help on a radio related subject.i did not ask for you to attack me publically via this forum.the posting was not the greatest piece of english ever written big deal.can you answer the questions,if yes thankyou,if no then kindly go elsewhere its my posting my question.if we were having this conversation face to face by now i would have ensured that you were unable to type and write so perfectly for a very long time. in fact if i am ever in america i shall look you up in the call book and pay you a vist i wonder if you would be quite so brave to call me publically face to face.seek your self gratification else where,learn some life and social skills.the same rules apply here as in real life,thank you for your input i shall seek help elsewhere in future,73 sean g7sjd
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 06:51:24 AM »

Yes, Sir, this is an amateur radio site, but it helps to write intelligently so the folks here can assist you.

You posted about a dozen different questions in one long, rambling,  almost uncomprehensible, paragraph. With no capital letters, missing punctuation, no break in sentences and all the rest, figuring out what you are actually asking becomes a real chore. If it is any comfort, there are some folks on this side of the pond who exhibit the same lack of basic writing skills.

If you come to America, I will be most happy to sit down with you, and to your face, discuss this very same subject. I will even take you to dinner after the discussion. We have some very nice restuarants in Baltimore.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:58:29 AM »

Ditto here.

I'd be most pleased to meet with you and discuss anything of mutual interest, including ham radio.

I couldn't begin to answer your question because I couldn't figure out what your question was...you wrote hundreds of words in a very long single paragraph that was difficult to follow.

It's much nicer, and takes exactly zero additional time, to separate thoughts into brief sentences and then paragraph those for clarity, such as I have done here.

73!

Steve WB2WIK/6
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:57:57 PM »

Allow me to intercede
-------------------------------------------------------
"
Question 1,
    so what would you compromise on,

Question 2:
    do i go with yaesu is the 857 a good rig,

Question 3:
    why so many s/h for sale,

Question 4:
    is the atas120 prone to problems with water.

Question 5:
    is the ts480sat a good hf radio with substancialy better performance than the yaesu,enough to justify having to wait for the screwdriver ant.,

Question 6:
     will the icoms introduction and its clever features cause the other manufacturers to discount again,

Question 7:
     will the small difference in price cause icom to sell the ic 706 at a reduced price.,

Question 8:
     am i missing something,

Question 9:
     is there a mobile bracket for a 817,

Question 10:
     if i used it mobile with say a high sierra sidekick would i get reasonable results."

-------------------------------------------------------

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 04:21:05 AM »

If we had not won the Revolutionary War, we would all be speaking English now!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »

>RE: which rig to buy  Reply  
by N0IU on December 22, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
If we had not won the Revolutionary War, we would all be speaking English now!<

::I'm glad Lafayette came over to help, and started a radio-electronics store chain at the same time.  Didn't care about us speaking French, either.  Nice guy.  

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 10:24:36 PM »

> Mobile and QRP are not a good combination if you
> actually want to talk to anyone.

Lon, I guess 21 years of mobile QSOs, every last one at 10W or less, are all figments of my imagination.  After all, I couldn't possibly have talked to anyone, right, let alone all that DX I've worked?  

Have I run an FT-817 mobile?  Yes.  Did it work out OK on HF?  Yes, though mainly on 17m and above.  20m is doable.  40m and down the combination of low power and inefficient antenna makes it nearly impossible to succeed, but this is certainly not the case from 14MHz on up.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 10:25:50 PM »

Oh, and one more little point:  My rig I currently put in the car when I want to work HF mobile is an IC-703.  Nice little 10W rig that works well with my Maldol HMC-6S.

Caity
K7VO
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 06:17:53 AM »

Caity,

To each his own. Mobile QRP is fine for someone who is an accomplished QRP operator. I think it is foolhardy to advise someone to START HF mobile using QRP, especially with the poor efficiency of the typical mobile HF antennas.

Happy 73,

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »

Actually, in the U.K., Australia, and Japan the entry level license limits hams to 10W max output.  These administrations have decided the best way for new hams to start out is, in fact, QRP.  

My first base rig was a Kenwood TS-660.  My first mobile rig:  also a Kenwood TS-660.  It worked out well.  Sure, it wasn't instant gratification all the time, but it sure taught me good operating habits.

Caity
K7VO
G7SJD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Thanks for your advice and messages.I have read quite a bit of the webb site mentioned in the earliest postings.I am going to use the holiday to prep the van fit earth straps to the van,a heavy duty feed from the battery.Using the ft817 i should be able to check for and action any interference from the electrical system.
I am thinking of using a screwdriver antenna mounted in the centre of the roof.The roof is nearly seven feet high and for practical purposes any running height above 12 feet would create problems with underpasses and bridges in the area.
As for rig i am still not really sure,the yaesu seems a bargain i could have the rig and aerial for the price of an icom or kenwood mobile rig.
Anybody want to add there comments on the atas120.
I also still would still like to hear your comments and veiws on the kenwood ts 480sat it looks a very practical radio.
Will i find a significant improvement in receiver performance using the kenwood than my ft847.i purchased the ft 847 five years ago when my license only allowed operation on vhf/uhf.I am still interested to see what effect the new icom ic7000 will have on the mobile market will its introduction cause further discounting for the yaesu ,kenwood and the 706mk2g?
73 de G7SJD SEAN
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: