Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which rig to buy  (Read 1944 times)
AG4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »

I would get the Icom 706mk2g plus a Tarheel Screw driver antenna. I use this combo and it works perfect. You will still be in your budget. I would never buy a radio when it first comes out on the market as in the Ic-7000. Just my opinion. 73 and good luck. Rich
G7SJD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »

HI RICH,Thanks for advice,may have arrived a little too late,I have gone for the yaesu ft857 due in part to the price been offered in uk on the rig and atas antenna,but also the compatibility of leads microphones from the existing Yaesu radios i have.

I am not sure that antenna is available over here,and importing proves dear as we have to pay import duty +17.5 value added tax and a customs clearance fee on top of your prices.
We pay the same price in british pounds as you do in dollars and at approx 1.5 dollars to the pound it is quite expensive.

I have grounded the doors and tailgate engine etc with braid the antenna is going direct onto the roof of the van.I also have plans for a whip antenna and the smart tuner,many thanks for the reply sean g7sjd
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 01:44:33 PM »

The FT-857D is a very good little radio.  I like it better than the IC-706MkIIG and it is definitely newer technology.  I don't think you can go too wrong with the choices you've made.

I chose the IC-703 for pretty much the same reasons you chose the FT-857D:  the price couldn't be beat and I found the built-in tuner to be a real plus.  I am not afraid to be 2 S-units or so down from a 100W rig.

Again, congratulations on your new purchase.  I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Caity
K7VO/9
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

Hi Sean, very good choice as I have two of the Yaesu FT-857D's, one for my vehicle and one for my Travel Trailer (camper).  I like the ability to be able to talk not only HF (I am a Tech Plus) but also VHF/UHF including 6 meters.  Good luck on the installation and if you can I would recommend the separation kit if you can get one resonably priced.

Sean, don't worry about those HAMS that instead of answering your questions, but question your ability to speak or type the English language.  Your country learned to speak it before we did, hmmm, wonder how that happened...lol...anyways I've seen American HAMS butcher the language themselves and they are the first persons to jump onto someone else about their typing.  I am not perfect as I make typing errors and sometimes grammatical errors and that word may be mispelled.

Sean, good luck and 73's
N├śmud
KF4HR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 06:46:49 PM »

I used to have a FT-857D and ATAS-120A antenna.  You are right, there's a lot of them for sale on the used market!  They work, but I found that the very small display makes it a bit difficult to see while driving.  Also if you have to pull the head out now and then for security, there's a little cable you have to mess with each time; which is sort of a pain.  And yes, the ATAS antennas did have a problem with rain water getting into them.  The 120"A" model comes with a rubber boot to keep water out, (although I can see the rubber breaking down over time and letting water in).  

I much perfer the IC-706IIg or the IC-7000 with a Turbo-Tuner, and some sort of name brand screwdriver antenna (Tarheel, etc).  Still very small rigs but the display is easier to see (especially the 706IIg), while mobile.  The head on the 706IIg or 7000 pops out easily, no fuss, no muss.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: