About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounds  (Read 661 times)
NC7A

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:51:07 AM »

Just finishing up a new condo. Had downstairs bedroom wired for shack with a 220 line and a #4 stranded ground wire that runs about 8 feet thru wall to ground rod outside.  Will connect #4 wire to copper bus plate mounted on wall.  I have been told to tie house ground to station/bus ground. My question is how.  Can I just remove wall plate on 220 plug and run a 2 foot piece of # 10-12 wire from plug ground to bus plate or what?  Not elegant and I can imagine what the fire inspector/insurance company would say when I burn the place down.  Would appreciate your thoughts.  Bart
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:38:11 AM »

This subject has been thoroughly discussed many many times.  Do a search in the forums.  Go to the Polyphaser and ICE websites and read all of their technical articles.  Much info to be had.

No, you can't do what you're planning to do; violation of NEC guidelines.  You need to attach a ground wire (#4 solid is best) to the outdoor ground rod and route it around the OUTSIDE of the house (avoid sharp bends) and attach it to the electrical service entrance ground rod located usually at the outdoor electric meter.

Phil
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »

Also to that outdoor ground rod, which is your SPG (single point ground) you attach the grounds from all your lightning arrestors and if not very very far away, a ground wire attached to your tower grounding system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: