Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need source for wall RF boxes  (Read 649 times)
KF7TG

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »

I'm building a house right now and am going to run some coax into my shack/office.  I'm looking for an online source for permanent installation type boxes with different types of RF connectors available.

Thanks
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »

I always use standard plastic electrical boxes from places like Home Depot for 1 or 2 coaxes. Get a blank metal cover and punch a hole in it for the connector. My large patch panel uses a 12" x 12" metal box with a metal cover. I have 16 SO-239 connectors mounted on it with back shells on the connectors.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »

If I were building a house, I would probably build my own RF transmission pass-thru box to suit my needs.  I may use electrical panels or I may do something different.  I have already done one such panel which is described on my web page (see link below) under the heading Transmission Line Pass-Thru Box.

However, the reason for this message is to suggest other things to include that I will be doing the next time around.  This is all in addition to providing SO-239 style coaxial connections and an external ground connection.

1.  A terminal connection for external non-coax cabling such as rotator cabling or external antenna switch or tuner cabling.  At least two such beasts.

2.  A 12-volt power pass through and maybe even a 120/240 line connection for external generator (if your service panel is not switched to a generator already).  But, definitely the 12 volt power so I can have a battery coffin outside.

3.  A second parallel (ladder) line connection.  Here though you need to be careful about interference between the two ladder lines.

4.  Room for adding additional things that you don't think of now.  This suggestion  hints at using a larger panel then you immediately need.

Phil
www.k7peh.com
KF7TG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:35:04 AM »

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: