Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best CW contesting rig for $500  (Read 580 times)
W5TD

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:02:48 AM »

Here is a topic that has been covered before, but with a new twist on it.  If someone was pretty limited in funds-with around $500 to spend-what is the best CW contesting rig to get?

I know that antennas are the way to go, but assume that it is not really possible to install better antennas at this time, and a beam is already in use.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:48:45 PM by W5TD » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »

I'd look for a good deal on a TS-850S, or an Omni V or a TR-7...something like that.  Good, solid, older rigs.

The TR-7 can sometimes be found working okay but beat up physically for that little and although it's not real QSK (only semi-QSK, it uses a T-R relay), with CW filters it's an amazing rig.  TS-850S if run barefoot (without the amplifier keying relay engaged -- you can disengage it with a slide switch on the rear panel) is real QSK, and the Omni is always real QSK.  TS-850S has CAT interface so it can be computer controlled, and also has a CW memory keyer internally if you just want to use that instead of automation.

Problem is, when you're buying rigs that were well over $1K new and looking to buy them used for only $500, you can easily be buying someone else's problems.  I'd carefully TRY OUT any rig prior to purchase, and avoid "mail order" deals.

WB2WIK/6
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:57:50 AM »

John,

I would go for a good IC-751A, still has the best receiver around. The receive function is the most important thing in a radio as far as I am concerned.

73, de Lindy
WN3R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »

If you're looking for a great receiver with really nice QSK, take a look at the Ten Tec OMNI V or VI.  Get one with all the filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: