Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF station for $150??  (Read 1505 times)
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 02:25:17 PM »

The Tempo ONE, another good choice to get you on the air on a budget , especially the earlier gray cabinet models  as they will be cheaper on average then the black face models. See them often for around $150 to $200 with power supply. The TS 520 is much better though, Good Luck, 73 N0XE
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:49:09 AM »

Another possibility would be to build your own rig. Over the past year there has been a couple of projects being documented in QST, to build either parts of a system, or an entire system. Richard Campbell, KK7B has a couple of articles building a SSB transmitter and receiver, in the October and December QSTs for 2006.

The real down side is you will want to work with an elmer who has the test equipment necessary to confirm that all you are building is working as designed. Given that though, you will probably have an even better idea of what goes into sending and receiving than just about any rig you can pick up at a swap meet will give you.

At the same time, you may want to wait on the build projects until you have given a used rig a go of things, and decide you really want to dig in deeper.

Just an idea...

-Rusty - kc0vcu
W8WZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »

hmm - - - building your own...
I'm a big fan of homebrewing - I've built many things - and am presently building a transmitter.

My experience is that it costs more to build my own rig than it does to buy an old rig.  So, as far as money goes - it is usually cheaper to buy and old rig, rather than buying all the needed parts -
especially if you need to buy test equpt too...

Homebrewing is awesome - but it isnt a way to save $ - generally speaking.
WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »

Rig givaways are very frequent.
  If you do not mind seperate transmitter/rcvr combo's, you can meet your budget too.

I go to many fleamarkets(not hamfests).
I just picked up an old 5 band SSB/CW TX for $40.00
It is a boatanchor. It only had a 60W final. The VFO was stable enough. It worked. I gave it away.

RCVR's that have VFO's calibrated well enough can be had too. If you have flea markets near you, it can be worth going 100 times to get 4 Ham items.

Of course you could go QRP. However that can be a challange.

If you could get an extra $100, the search is a cakewalk.

KE4CCI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »

Steven are you wanting a Cw only rig? If so give me a shout @ ke4cci at yahoo.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: