Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Home: Cable Chase Ideas  (Read 1010 times)
K4GPS

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:36:06 AM »

We will be building a new home in the next couple of months, still looking for 20-30 acres and may need to settle for 15 or so. The home will be a modular home, not a trailer but stick built with modules coming in and bolting together, and there will be a full basement for this home.

Since the home is made in a factory from plans I need to tell them what I want when the order comes in. The exterior walls are 2x6 BTW. With a basement you can wire the 1st floor quite well by locating the walls and drilling/measuring up. On the 3rd floor this is unfinished space and/or attic so there is plenty of room, even stairs to get to it, we should be able to wire "down" to the 2nd floor.

Any good ideas on how to run a chase from the basement to the 3rd floor ? I was thinking of running one on each end of the house. This will allow me to wire as needs change later on in life. I believe that the 1st and 2nd floor comes with drywall hung from the factory so it will make things difficult "unless I guess" and tell them to put boxes in walls and pull strings where I may want my stuff.

Thanks,
Rich K4GPS
Rock Hill SC
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:02:37 AM »

Rich,
A great idea that will only be fully realized years from now when you are pulling cables of all sorts, not just Ham Radio. One thing to consider is Fire Stops. These are barriers between the studs to prevent fire from using the spaces in walls between floors as a chimney.  Many Building Codes mandate them. You must figure a way to install and get around them in your floor to floor cable ways. A removable panel in the back of a closet perhaps or an outside access panel would let you install a stop of some material and keep your access and fire stop in effect.  One last thing is the type of cables you use. In a Plenum (air way) special cable is required by the NEC and the cable is more expensive than Non Plenum cable. Go to your local Lowe's and look at the price difference in CAT-5 Plenum and non-Plenum to see how much.

Let us know what you came up with,
Clint - W5CPT
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 05:59:45 PM »

Yes, you could go with a cable raceway in each end of the house, but it would be better if you located your shack in one room and ran a raceway just to that room or in addition to the other raceways.

Even in a finished home there are ways to establish raceways for feeding cabling.  It just means some planning and extra work.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »

When I was just a baby ham, my
parents had a basement with
exposed joists.   My shack was in the
ole maid's quaters (I was the only
ham at my school that had a
full bath attached to the shack).

Anyhow, I used pipe strap attached to
the joists to run cable through the
rest of the basement. Quarters were
on street side and antennas on back side.

Happy Holidaze!

Ronnie
N1EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

I have wanted to build a house, myself.

One of my dreams is to pour an extra high foundation
to allow 8 feet of ceilings.  I as even thinking of
more as pipes require a great deal of change in height
in order to drain.  So I would recommend considering
the ceiling height, especially If you want to put
a wood deck or some other flooring in the basement.

Bill
KE7HLR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »

I like the idea of a cable raceway at each end of the house, with access at each floor.

This would allow you to route your antenna feedline, cable/satellite TV, computer cable, or whatever else now or in the future.

Flexibility is always a good thing!

73 de Dan, KE7HLR
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »

If you can stack the bathrooms, you might find it possible to use a double wall for the piping and then you have a fairly large chase that's totally concealed.

Personally, I'd probably run some sort of pipe/conduits and if possible, a pull box on each floor - two 4" conduits would allow you lots and lots of room unless you have to have Heliax/hardline.  Even then, if you install it before delivery....

You can even run those in a 2x6 wall if you plan it right - metal conduit can be sealed at the fire-stops.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: