Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: external speakers  (Read 814 times)
HOTROD1972

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »

I need an external speaker for my Shack. I just need some ideas for good sounding speakers.
73's
Shawn

5 days and no ticket yet...Sad
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »

One option: http://www.soundssweet.com/

Most amateur receivers don't sound too well (in my opinion) with "HI FI" type speakers as they tend to reproduce the noises and clicks. I'd stick with something specifically designed for communications receivers as they roll off the high and low frequencies outside of the voice range.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 08:27:27 AM »

I use a Kenwood SP-230.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »

I took a speaker out of an old CB radio and mounted it in the box that Devil Dogs come in. Amazingly, it works fine! Smiley
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:35:01 PM »

I was looking for a multiple speaker array and went to the local electronics store [old fashioned type] and found some nice heavy duty 5" speakers that cost me only a few bucks each.

I put a MFJ clear-tone speaker on a scanner for my dad and it sounds great as well as being quite compact.

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »

Junk yard, 6x9 from trucks or commercial vans , cheap if not free,
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:58:30 PM »

I happen to like the way commercial (Police, Fire, etc) radio speakers sound. I find old Motorola Micor series speakers at swapfests for a few bucks each.
Some people prefer the stereo speaker type, Which pass lots more frequencies. I dont care for the way they pass all the lower frequencies. Kind of a personal choice.
The "special" ham radio speakers with the built in speech processing like the old Am-Comm "Clearspeech" work really good. But kind of expensive.
If you can, Experiment around a little bit with different types before you commit to spending much money on any.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »

I agre with K9KJM.  I picked up an old Motorola (1961 metal gray) Motrac speaker for $5.  

Here is what I did:
1. Took out one ding in the bracket (now I can't even see it was bent).
2. Disassembled enclosure, cleaned-up and replaced cracking zip cord with new 18 AWG (black) zip cord.
3. Reassembled and installed RCA phono plug on end of 3 foot cable.
Hooked up to Drake R-4C.  Looks good, sounds good !

w9gb
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 05:45:54 AM »

I think it depends on your operating practices.  

As others have attested, a radio-communications speaker is best for most amateur radio applications.  Communications speakers are designed to peak somewhere between 500Hz to 3.5kHz, where HiFi speakers have a much wider range, from 50Hz to around 20kHz.  That wider range will reproduce sounds you don't really want - if you're listening to CW or SSB signals.  

If you're listening to AM, that's a different animal.  I like broad-range HiFi response when I'm listening to AM; communications-grade speakers make AM sound muddy or tinny (depending on the speaker) to my ear.

The MFJ 281 speaker sells for $12.95 and has the 600Hz to 4kHz response you're (probably) looking for.

Cheers,

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: