Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a good deal..?? TS-820S or TS-50..??  (Read 1344 times)
KE5BRE

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:06:13 PM »

Hello Team:

Is this a good deal..??

Kenwood TS-50 $300.00

Kenwood TS-820S $200.00

Thanks.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

These prices are a little (about $50-$100) less than I would expect for an asking price.  I would be interested in the condition, inside and out.
KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:12 PM »

Do not know the condition, in one of the pictures the radio is turned on and you can see the digital display.

This's the answer I got from the seller regarding the TS-820S, they are a few miles from my QTH.

"The radio works.  About the finals , I don't know .. I will try to take better photos .It was my fathers. He gave it to my husband who took it to a shop.. After they fixed it up..Don't know what they did.. My husband was going to give it to my brother but he ended up not doing it, so it's been on a shelf for a few yrs. My husband periodically would turn it on but he has a different radio he uses. He turned it on the other day when he took the photo and it was working.. We just moved here and setting up a ham station is difficult because of the homeowners association and this is my son's home ..He is hoping to manage something though eventually. We have way to much stuff including ham equipment , some of which is in storage so he wants to find new homes for some of it.
He says he can hook it up to a dummy load if you want to come see it."
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:06:59 PM »

Be careful.  You often get what you pay for. (or even less than what you pay for!)
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:40:51 AM »

If you do have the opportunity to go check it out, I highly recommend it.  At this point, you have to believe what they've told you.  

Do you know how to tune the tube radio in case they don't?  
KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:39 AM »

"Do you know how to tune the tube radio in case they don't?"

K8GU: Yes, I found the procedure on the Net but seems  a little cumbersome, I have never use an "hybrid" type radio before or doing the "tunning" procedure.
My last HF radio was a TS-430S that I used in the mid 90's back in Mexico and sold it when we moved (legally) to the States.

I think I'll buy only the TS-50S. I'll like to own a "tube" type transceiver just for the cool and nostalgia factor. Those radios were/are classics..!!

Not sure what will be more easy & affordable to service/repair in case something goes wrong, a "solid-state" type or "hybrid" type radio.  

I uploaded some pictures here:

http://public.fotki.com/Zapata/ts-820s/

Thanks.!!

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »

RE the 820:  She writes  "He turned it on the other day when he took the photo and it was working.. "

How was it working when he took the photos without any power cord hooked up ?  In any event will they provide the power cord? This radio is  made to run on 110 vac and a special connector is needed to hook the power wire to the rig. Which is not pictured. It also looks a bit scuffed up, all in all though if it "works" and they give you the cord and a mic I would say take a hands on look at it.
KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »

N3BIF: Sorry for the confusion, the first picture they e-mail me was: http://public.fotki.com/Zapata/ts-820s/power-on.html

where you can see the radio on, but is a very low quality picture, I got the high-res pictures because I ask them. They offer to connect the radio to a dummy load to see it working, so I guess they must have the AC cord, but no indication of a mic.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »

hi robert,

The TS-50 will require an external power supply,
the ts-820 has internal power supply.

looks nice for its age, I say go for it
as long as you can test it out.

Since it has been sitting on the shelf, a good
cleaning of the controls inside and lube the fan
bearing are in order. deoxit works nice.

here are the owner and service manuals pdf d/l free

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

join other kenwood ts-5xx or 8xx fans here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
AF9J

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »

Hi Robert,

The price is nice for either rig.  I myself own a TS-820 (which I use as a second rig).  Arguments can be made for either rig.  Both make good casual operating rigs, but not so good contesting rigs.  Tuning hybrid or all tube rigs can be awkward at first.  Once you learn it, it's fairly straightforward.  I've been doing it off and on, since I was a teenage Novice in the 80s, and can tune up my TS-820 in about a minute or so. But, if you don't know how to do it, you may wind up with the impression that the rig doesn't work (or you can screw up the finals).  If you want to test out the TS-820S, here's the link to the Kenwood website; webpage, that allows you download manuals for their radios:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/simple.aspx?men=2&M2=71&M3=100

Click on the dropdown menu, and choose the TS-820S, and download the PDF copy of the manual.  It will give the procedure for tuning up the TS-820S.  

If the tubes in the 820S haven't been abused, they  should be good for about 105-130W out, depending upon which band you're using the rig on.  As was mentioined earlier, there is a Yahoo group for the Kenwood hybrids.  Help and information is readily available from this group.

Ellen - AF9J  
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 08:37:50 AM »

If you aren't into super rapid band changing, I'd go with the 820S; if you are a cw op (like me) who doesn't absolutely, positively. require full QSK, I'd go with the 820S; if plowing through menu driven rigs doesn't thrill you, I'd go with the 820S. If you don't mind taking the time to properly dip and load into a dummy, I'd go with the 820S.

You won't get 30M which can be a great cw band. Try and find a TS-530S if that band is important.

I have Kenwood boat-anchors and run them at reduced power quite happily.

Just be sure you can test the rig before committing.

Remember, if you have a problem that you can't resolve, these are heavy rigs to send to your favorite repair shop.

Good luck with your decision.
AF9J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »

Yep, if you're looking to do CW, the TS-50 isn't so good for it.  I fired up my TS-820 (the TS-820 is the predecessor to the TS-820S) earlier tonight, and a nice CW QSO, with N7LKL, near Seattle.  Also, Kenwood's hybrids have great SSB audio.  I always get nice reports on my audio, when I use it for SSB (it's my main vintage rig [it takes me back to my college days in the mid 80s, when I was a new General, and used the Univ. of WI ham club station's TS-830S]).  BTW, I have no problems servicing my 820 - no surface mount components.

Ellen - AF9J
KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 06:36:43 PM »

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the input Team..!!

Just as an update I got the TS-50. The only thing (besides that it was real dirty/greasy) is hairline crack or scratch between the main dial and the screen (barely noticeable). As soon as I got home, I used "Armor-All" to clean it and now loos very good.

My previuos HF radio was a TS-430S back in the mid-late 90's back in Mexico and sold it when we move to USA. Not sure about wanting an hybrid and is lacking general coverage receive, I like also SWL and if activated/deployed need to have MARS capability.
I also got from the same gentleman and "Outbacker Perth Plus" for $75.00. Now the Outbacker is connected to my LDG AT-200 and that will be my HF setup at home. Need to keep a low profile due the HOA. I'll give more details and pictures in another thread/section.

Thanks for the info.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »

Hi Robert,

I have the ts-50 and it is a nice radio.

Take a look inside the bottom cover,
sometimes the lithium battery leaks.

join other ts-50 fans here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TS50/

if you need manual, kenwood.com has all of the manuals, including the older models in pdf.

73 james
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 10:18:16 PM »

HI!

I have 2 TS-50's, one bought new and a 2nd one bought used. LOVE these rigs...use mobile...constantly hear stations ask me"Are you really mobile?" when running w/ hamsticks. As to $300, I have never seen one for that cheap. Definitely check it out if at all possible. If it seems too cheap, perhaps it is. Hp all that helps...Jerry, W7TNS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: