Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newtronics/Hustler: The Good, The Bad & The Ug  (Read 572 times)
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:41:17 AM »

The Ugly: I was having the devil of a time tuning my factory-new 6BTV from DX Engineering. I emailed both DXEngineering and Newtronics describing my problem.  Newtronics guy Jason immediately emailed a telephone number (my nickel). After our conversation he emailed a trap calibration guide. I  made adjustments which made things work great on 10m & 15m, but nowhere close on 20m (min SWR at about 15.100MHz). Trying to follow the calibration guide, I discovered that the lower tube on the trap was a good 2 inches too short. Maybe somneone in the assembly process had a bad day.

The Bad: In order to get a new trap, I'd have to (a) send in the defective one & then they'd ship the new or (b) buy the right one & get full credit on returning the defective one. I opted for (b), just to eliminate a few days wait.

The Good: While the answers weren't always what I wanted to hear, Newtronics was VERY prompt in responding to my problems, VERY available by telephone and email and VERY helpful. Jason went to the warehouse & physically measured the trap tubes in stock to be sure my replacement would be right.

It's one of those things that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but was handled perfectly from a technical viewpoint and acceptably from a business viewpoint. I'd have preferred that Newtronics ship the replacement and trust me to return the defective trap - what am I gonna do with it? - but understand that some companies have been burned on returns and feel a need to protect themselves.

Other than the trap problem, the antenna appears well-made and I'd buy it again.  

N8TNJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »

It took me about 2 days to get my 6BTV adjusted correctly. I wanted to wrap it around a tree. Called Jason twice (and he called back a few times to check to see how I was doing). Found that some of the problems were my own doing. I talked to Jason one time for over an hour (there dime) even offered to refund my money when I got it from HRO. When it's up and running that antenna flat out works!!
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 07:04:11 AM »

I have nothing but good comments for Newtronics. They have provided me with information and direction on several occasions. I wish all amateur radio related companies were as considerate regarding their products.

Craig - N4CQR
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »

I have a vintage Newtronics "Homing Pigeon" indoor CB antenna. It needs TLC, but it still works after 35 years! How can you complain with a track record like that? I need a few small plastic parts that are no longer available, but scotch tape will have to do for the time being. It doesn't get much use, but for what it is... -KR4WM
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:18:22 PM »

I have a 5BTV and even with the 12 & 17 Meter mods it blew away the GAP piece of crap antenna that I had that would never tune. The 5BTV went together perfectly and with just rough eyeballing I got an excellent SWR on every band. The best bang for the buck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: