Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't decide between FT-857D and FT-897D  (Read 1609 times)
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

I just went through this in october and went with the 897D because of the versatility and the larger screen.  It is easier on the eyes as well as the knobs are much bigger. It sounds good, but add an external speaker for better sound.  I also purchased the LDG AT897 tuner which is great.  I feel you might be happier with the 897D, if the budget can absorb it..  As far as batteries, I added the Gamma Research power supply instead of batteries.  www.gammaresearch.com See their website for details. Greg
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »

Go with the 857D...If you are cramped for space and plan on taking your rig out portable, the 857 is smaller and will work well for you....I really like mine....Just picked it up....All those bands and modes in one tiny package.....

Vince P
KA3NRX
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »

Having both the 857 is the better choice. You are not tempted to buy the un-needed gadgets sold for the 897 that are not available for the 857.  And if size matters the 857 wins.

George, W6GF

Also you can get get "sound" er modulation from an 857 by using the Heil mic and carrier off setting
K8YSV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »

DG3YCC wrote: "857 has a thin wire coming out of the back. Connecting this to ground reduces RF power - good for antenna tuning etc. I soldered a switch between this and the ground wire (BTW: do the yaesu people think a wire coming out of the enclosure is 21st century technology?)."

That's rather odd. I have no such wire coming out of the back of my 857. Did you get yours new or used? Sounds like someone brought that wire out for some purpose (autotuner usage perhaps?).
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: