Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PolyPhaser Grounding Question  (Read 3201 times)
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 07:25:07 AM »

but there isn't a grounding system made yet that will stop any damage if the lightning strikes your house or even strikes close to your installation.

Mine will and does and has.  A properly designed and installed grouding system will work.  Yes there may be some damage on outdoor items, but your indoor equipment will be protected.

Need more proof, ask commerical radio installation owners or your police and fire department users who never disconnect and are always up.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »

Go to the site, navigate to the picture tour, "To take a tour of the main repeater site click here!" to view a rather comprehensive repeater setup using Polyphasors exclusively.  

http://136.142.87.251/gpvhfs/

I spearheaded that design after the gpvhfs repeater system suffered too many instances of lightning damage during storm season.  

Direct hits, the thing still works.  

Polyphasor has changed hands to a large corporate endeavor now, and they have stopped offering the original guarantee that "Dr. Lightning" had when he owned the company that was a direct result of his lightning research -- for the commercial broadcasters, using his recommended protectors and procedures, his written guarantee was to replace ANY equipment damaged by lightning strike.  To my knowledge, he never had to honor that warranty.  Which would have proved very expensive considering the cost of some of those 100KW FM or TV transmitters.  

When installed correctly, Polyphasor works.  

Of course, there can always be that catastrophic event when dealing with mother nature...  

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: