The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 718 and a GAP antenna  (Read 2275 times)
KD8BWH

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:29:20 PM »

Being a new general, I have purchased an Icom 718 to start building my shack.

Due to space limitations, I am considering a GAP Eagle antenna.
By any chance is anyone using this rig with any GAP antennas? If so, how is it all working out for you?
Steve
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »

The 718 is a good rig and should work well with a variety of antennas.  How bad are your space limitations?  Have you considered experimenting with some homebrew and/or stealth antennas?  It could be loads of fun for a new ham.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:48:49 AM »

Welcome to HF...

I agree with the other poster; unless you feel completely clumsy with basic tools, you should consider building your own antennas to start with.  (The GAP is going to have to be assembled and tuned, anyway.)

If you can describe your situation to us, perhaps we can suggest some good homemade antennas to start with.  Even though I've been a ham for years, it always helps to have another ham look at your situation and suggest antennas.
AC9TS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

I have a 718 as well and would say getting the AH-4 auto tuner may be worth the investment in your case.  The GAP is going for ~$300 and the tuner is ~$250.  You can use the $50 difference to buy wire and play!

My radio is in the basement and my tuner is in the attic.  I built the extension cable to connect the tuner and spend most of my "antenna work" time playing with the wire configurations.  There are certain lenghts to avoid as they will produce high voltages/currents at the tuner but, for the most part, it will tune anything you connect to it and keep the standing waves on the coax to a minimum.

If you can, mount it outside someplace and do the wire outside to house. I am in a newer subdivision (HOA) with very few trees let alone any large enough to hide wire in.

Tom - AC9TS
KF0X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 05:16:56 PM »

My advice is to REALLY save money and buy one of the best tuners on the market assuming you are not running more than 125 watts.

It is the LDG Z-11 Pro.  It retails for about $175 and is every bit as good of a tuner as the Icom.  It is designed to work PERFECTLY with the 718.  It just won't handle a linear amp which I am assuming you don't have anyway.

You can find that tuner at any of the big stores like Ham Radio Outlet or AES.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: