Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Mic goes good with a TS570DG?  (Read 961 times)
W8WZ

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

I just bought a used Kenwood TS570DG.
I'm mostly a CW op, but I do check into nets now and then and use SSB for special events and the occasional rag chew.  I'm not a big fan of hand mics. So, I would like to know what Desk Mic you suggest I get to go along with this radio. What has worked for you?   Thanks es 73! Carl W8WZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »

Remember even a desk mike should be close-talked so mike gain can be set as low as possible to minimize background noise, so a key factor in desk mike selection should be "comfort;" that is, a mike element that sits high enough above the desk that you don't have to bend over and hurt your back to speak into it.

This is something an awful lot of people don't think about, and they should: It's one of the most important factors in microphone system selection.  I say "system" because it's not just the mike, but the mike stand or other support that are deeply involved.

Because so many desk mikes have mating stands that are way too short for adult use (!), you see a lot of operators picking them up and holding the whole mike and stand in their hand, as they would a hand mike, thus negating the benefits of a desk stand.  In fact, I see this all the time.

Having said all that, my most recent mike selection for my Kenwood and other rigs (I have a TS-850S, which uses the same kind of mike as a TS570DG), is the Heil Sound PR-40 with a boom to support it.  No desk stand to take up desk space, and no leaning over to talk.  I can position the mike in front of where my mouth normally is when sitting properly in a chair, and move it around if I decide to change position, just by dragging the mike with me, still in its boom attachment.

The PR-40's not a bad choice for many rigs simply because it's a general-purpose dynamic mike with very "flat" frequency response, so the response you get is mostly up to your rig and not the mike.  It also doesn't pick up noise from the sides or rear, so even in a pretty noisy environment (like amplifier fans running and such), as long as the "front" of the mike is aimed at your lips and the noise makers are off to the sides, it doesn't pick them up.

Good luck with the mike selection!

WB2WIK/6
W8WZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »

Thank you! You make a very very good point about comfort. I have held my desk mics in the past for that reason (D-104s with my old Drakes).

I sent Heil an e-mail and they suggested the GM-5. They said that the number 5 element is especially well matched to the TS570 for SSB and that the broadcast element will work great for any FM work I may want to do. I have ordered that and planed to use it with a table base that I already own. However, after thinking about your comments, I will likely get a boom for it.
I appreaciate your advice!
73, Carl
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:16:58 AM »

I second the Heil choice.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »

An even better choice is a Heil headset with the rag chew element.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »

There are a couple of cool things about the Heil headsets.  

First, you're mainly a CW op, and I presume you use cans for listening.  The Heil cans are really, really nice, especially the Quiet Phones, which are noise-canceling.  

Second, they are very comfortable to wear, unlike some other cans I've used, which can be heavy and restrictive, and therefore annoying.

Third, you can swivel the mic boom up and out of the way when you're not using it (i.e., when you're making the key sing).

Those things said, the mic-on-a-boom is an awesome choice as well.  Look at any broadcast studio, and you'll see shock-mounted mics on booms, to keep the work area clear for your hands.

That reminds me, I've seen lots of photos of hams with boom mics in their shacks, but few with shock mounts.  I wonder why; I wouldn't even *think* about mounting the mic directly.  Maybe it's my broadcast background.  [shrug]

Anyway, congrats on the new rig, and have fun playing with accessories!

73 de Bob AB3EI
W1XZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

Save yourself some money and go to yard sales and flea markets and look for: a D-104. (put a meg - meg and a half ohm resistor in series with hot side of mic element.) or a Turner Plus 3 or get a Rat Shack 2 buck condenser element and roll your own.  The D-104 and the Turner are still fairly cheap as they are ex-good buddy mics.  I bought an amplified D-104 on ebay for $30 and used it on a Kenwood  TS 480.  The Plus-3 can be had for about the same.  Beats paying for the name brand ham mics.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »

A Shure 522 works well with mine.
Glen
K4LD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »

Keep the stock! I have the MC-60A and have better audio on the stock mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: