Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating shack to steel building  (Read 706 times)
KG4VOC

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »

I will be moving my shack to a new 24X30 building that is
being erected in my backyard.  What concerns should I
have in doing this?

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:47:21 AM »

Do bond some ground wires to any rebar in the concrete being poured for the building (UFer ground)
Add a bare copper wire in any open trench that would be running power, phone etc to the building, With ground rods attached, about twice the distance apart as the depth of the rods. (Outside of any conduit for the power etc) Bond the steel frame / siding/roofing of the building to your ground system.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »

What concerns should I
have in doing this?

Don't drop anything.

Prelabel all cables.
K4EDG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »

Drive several ground rods into the ground near the wall where you intend to mount your equipment before you build; leave them sticking out about 3" higher than you intend to pour the floor slab; connect them together with copper wire and bonding clamps before you pour the slab. Bond them electrically to the rebar in the foundation, and bond several copper wires to this rebar and leave them sticking above the top of the foundation to be attached electrically to the sheet panel steel after the walls are erected.

Connect each piece of your equipment directly to a copper tube (rigid copper plumbing pipe) on the bench/table laying behind them with individual wires, and bond this pipe to the ground rods you embedded in the floor with a single heavy copper wire or braided copper cable.

You might also want to consider putting a lightning protection system on the gable of the building, if you are in an area prone to lightning strikes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: