Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: station grounding  (Read 619 times)
KF6AGM

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2007, 03:07:04 PM »

I installed a conduit system in the wall to route the coax cables from the roof to the station. I am looking for a way to provide a seperate ground for the station. I'm planning to route the ground wire from the ground rod placed at the end of a sprinkler line, under the house, and through the floor to where the wall panel is located. Would this be an acceptable place for the ground rod or should I connect the station ground to the cold water pipe instead? Do I also remember correctly that saline soil has the least resistance compared to non-saline soil? If that's true, should I build an underground box to prevent the saline soil from leeching into the non-saline soil? Please advise me on what kind of a grounding system I should install. Thanks

- Ken (KF6AGM)
VK4RQA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »

Hi Ken,
I have done a similar thing to want you intend. There is a pic on my website of the grounding box I installed on the side of my houes.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/midc/vk4zxx
I used 4 x copper rods connected to a 50mm copper strap to the shack, from there I used a small copper pipe as a bus where all my equipment is connected using copper braid.
Cheers
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:47 PM »

Coax feedlines should be "grounded" at your single point ground, Which should be located on an exterior wall, Near where the coax will enter the room.
Usually, Some type of copper plate or bar acts as the single point ground, The best method to route that outdoors to your ground system is flat copper strap, At least two inches wide, Not wire.
A single ground rod is really not much of a ground.
I would start with at least three, Maybe adding more later. Space the ground rods at least 12 feet apart.
"Saline" type soil should provide a very good ground. Use only heavy copperclad rods.
For good info on lightning protection grounding see:
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
Be sure to also read the links provided to Polyphaser, etc.
KF6AGM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »

VK4RQA,
I looked at your web page and saw your DC & RF grounding box. I know it seems like a dumb question, but is it really better to have this box on the outside of the house instead of in the attic where I plan to install it? Once I get the RF connections made inside the box, I don't think I will need to access the connections unless I'm planning to move or to take an antenna out of service. If you think that it will be better to have it on the outside, it will be a little redundant because I will have to have the conduit go back into the attic to the junction box and then down to the station area. On a similar note, where would I find a box like what you use for your RF & DC grounding? Another question is where would I find a grounding feed-through strip like what it appears in your photo? I had determined that the flower bed under the living room window where I had origianlly thought of installing the ground rod system is not long enough. The only other area which is more than 12 feet long is the area along the fence but the 12 KV & 240 VAC lines are 35 feet above the ground. This area is about 25 feet from the house. Will this pose as a problem? I have no choice but to use large gauge wire instead of copper braid for that distance. I know it's  a lot of questions, but I would rather do it right the first time and play it safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: