Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eliminating hiss  (Read 709 times)
N7SEE

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »

I run a IC746PRO and am looking to upgrade the speaker. I'm leaning toward the SP-23. My QTH has a lot of local noise and want to filter it out. I've listened to the old AmCOM Clear Speech unit and was really impresssed with the improvement in ssb intelligibility....I've read the eham reviews on the SP-series and found them lacking. In reality, how effective is the icom speaker in filtering out hiss and static while preserving the voice signal. I dont mind spending the bucks if it works. As far as the Sounds Sweet speaker....it's so ugly I wouldnt even let one in the shack without the lights out and making it wear a paperbag!  HiHi!

73's
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »

http://www.soundssweet.com/

Best speaker I have found in 39 years of ham radio.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

I have an SP-20 and really like the sound quality. I wouldn't buy one for the filters however. They don't do much. The DSP in your PRO, if you get it adjusted properly, should do a much better job of reducing noise than the filters in any speaker.
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »

Also could be some front end overloading of your receiver, especially on 40m and 80m this time of year. You could try turning on the attenuator and/or backing off on the RF gain a bit.  That can make the signals more readable and save your ears at the same time.

73 Doug

73, Doug - NG0K
KI4MF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »

Agree - Now please advise when they start making them again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: