Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT2000 vs. 756 PROIII  (Read 2056 times)
N2KHH

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »

Anybody do any comparisons yet? Both are approx. same price and I'm looking to upgrade from a 746PRO.
Thanks.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:20:10 PM »

Well, I think that you certainly wouldn't be making any mistakes with buying either one.  It gets down to what features you value more.

I happen to really like the spectrum display on my Icom 756 Pro III and it would be hard to ever go to a rig without one.  I think the 2000 has an external driver that might cost about $1000 for an external display screen and that would be pretty nice -- but, it is costly.
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »

The 756 ProIII has been out for a while and Icom have probably got the bugs out. It's also an evolution from the original IC-756 and IC-756 ProII.

The FT-2000 has all the latest technology but hasn't even hit the dealers yet. Based on what I've seen with the FT-9000 I'm willing to bet that FT-2000 users will be beta testing for Yaesu.

Go for the Icom.

HA5RXZ
KD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 07:22:15 AM »

While I like the FT-2000, I'd also go for the Icom just because some of the features I want (mainly the spectrum scope) are extra on the FT-2000.  Although, to be fair, while the optional Data Management Unit is almost $1000, it does quite a bit.
W3ULS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

I've owned a 746PRO and now own a PRO III. The latter is head and shoulders ahead of the 746PRO both in performance and user friendliness, IMHO. According to Sherwood Engineering and ARRL Lab test data, the PRO III lacks the last nth degree in 3d order IMD rejection on receive, meaning that in some furious CW contests it might produce some audible IMD.

In case you are a committed CW contester, then the ORION by Ten-Tec or possibly the new FT-2000 might be worth looking into as well. For the 99% of hams (such as yours truly) who are not in that category, I think the PRO III will meet all your requirements/expectations and then some.

By the way, the PRO III has been free of flaws from the get-go. It just works.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 03:16:36 AM »

Not that this would be a deal breaker by any means, but since you already have an Icom rig, it is just a matter of plug and play with all of your accessories form the 746 to the 756. If you get the Yaesu, you will have to re-wire everything.

I upgraded from a 756 "classic" original to a first generation Pro. I asked Santa for a Pro3 for Christmas, but I am not sure I have been good enough!

Scott N0IU
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »

They both look kinda like they came out of a Fisher Price catalog. And Im probably not buying either anytime soon. The FT2000's buttons, knobs, and switches are too small, easy to miss and can be accidently pressed while attempting to depress the one next to it, etc. The FT2Ks labels for the knobs and switches are printed to small. In some way, the FT2K almost looks like an oversized mobile rig instead of the formidable ergonomic radio it really should be. The FT-1000D and IC-7800 look really good at this point. I like my IC781. Radios made for North American Hands.
WA6ES

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 05:07:09 AM »

OK here is the funny thing. I have a 746pro and also looking to upgrade to the ft2000 or the Pro3. The roofing filters on the 2k is leaning me that way. Sure the Pro3 has all those filters you can add in but it still has the same(1)roofing filter. On the additional cost of the DMU unit for the display yes it is an additional cost but this box also allows you to do firmware updates. I am sure someone will make a 3rd party box to do the same thing too. The Orion is still in my look into list but not as high as the FT-2000.
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »

Lots of pros and cons. It seems that all the rig manufactures have their problems -- (746 Pro final failures), (FT1000MkV antenna tuner problems), (Orion front panel software hitches), you get the message. None of them have sterling records. The Pro III has great ergonomics, great scope and the ability to tailor transmit audio really well, but just slightly above average receiver performance.  The Yaesu FT 2000 is too new call. Lets see if they are going to have new rig glitches -- takes about 12 months to see. Secondly lets see how they do in the ARRL review. You can count on ICOM coming out with something new to compete, but who knows when and who knows what problems they end up with.  Sometimes just hanging back gives you a pretty good view things, especially when it comes to picking the right new rig.  
W1DG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:57:26 PM »

I have both the 756 Pro III and FT-2000 side by side doing A/B comparisons. They are both great radios and you would not go wrong with either one. So far (1 week)I prefer the FT-2000 for CW, like the noise floor on 756 ProIII better as the FT-2000 has more white noise, but at the same time I find the side rejection to be better on the FT-2000. As many have said the scope is a plus on the Pro III and I like the dual receive as a plus on the FT-2000. The DMU-2000 and monitor will offer a lot more on the FT-2000. This is my first Yaesu base station radio so I am still in learning curve while I owned the original Pro for a few years and the Pro III for a year & a half. Will try to update this when I get more familiar with the Yaesu.
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:47:45 AM »

I'd go with the Icom. I bought my 775dsp new in 98 only for what i'd heard about its receiver. I've been watching the pro series advance into the pro-3 now but honestly just love the receiver and performance of the 775. I got it out of the box, installed the filters i wanted, and set it in its spot here in the shack. "Flawless perfection" since 98. I love the screen on the pro series but honestly just don't believe in a true a/b competition that the pro will have anything on the receiver in the 775dsp. I make them all sound alike on phone here in my shack but it's the xceive where one needs to put their money. Simply on quality alone i'd go with the Icom. My two cents: 73 John WR8D  
KC5R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

I'd get the 756 PROIII. I have had this series for 5 years and it never ceases to amaze me how well laid out it is. I have operated a modern Yaesu FT radio (FD - I forget the model), and while it was good, it seemed a bit more clumsey on the dual vfo operation and RIT/XIT (Clarifier) operation.
I'm sure you'd be happy with either, but I'd go for the proven, hot-receiver IC-756PROIII.
HB9BGG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 02:25:08 AM »

Dear old man,
Icom IC756Pro3 is better at the moment.
I hope for improvement of FT2000 in the next months.
vy 73 de HB9BGG
Marco
W0RER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 10:27:20 AM »

I say go for the Orion II...Although it is kind of hard to buy a "bad" radio these days...All of them have their issues...

Good Luck!
David
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 08:00:47 PM »

I will add my two cents.  I have the 756, FT2000, and the 746pro.  Unless you love the 756 display and "need" the dual watch, do not trade the 746 for the 756.  The FT does have some benefits over the 756 expecially the roofing filters.  The FT is a good challenge to my ORION ll.  If you really want the best in that class, get the Ten-Tec ORION ll.

George, W6GF
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: