Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ/Mirage/Vectronics/***** sucks  (Read 1761 times)
KB9MQL

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:08:21 PM »

dont waste your money or time
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:00:08 AM »

That doesn't give us much information. What unit(s) have you tried and what problems did you have?

I've had several MFJ TNC-2 packet units and an MFJ noise meter. No problem with any of them.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:09:58 PM »

Yeah, and I heard about someone who had a bad Kenwood/Yaesu/iCOM/Alinco/ADI/Swan/Drake/**** so they all s**k!

Makes about as much sense as the original post, doesn't it?

Dennis KG4RUL
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 01:31:34 AM »

I fell down once...... Gravity s**ks.
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:04:34 AM »

I wouldn't buy anything from MFJ with a transistor in it.
Basic ntenna tuners and some handheld/mobile antennas are good.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:35:47 AM »

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?  I have a ton of MFJ stuff and I've never had a problem with any of it.  And this includes equipment with "transistors in it".  My MFJ-259B is almost constantly in use.  I also have an MFJ-929 in my shack that is used almost every day.  And the MFJ-9330 Cub transceiver is a real gem.  I had a ball with one of those for several years, but sold it when I bought an FT-817 (wish I hadn't sold it).  I have an MFJ-4125 that I use portable with my IC-706MKIIG, and both an MFJ-4225 and MFJ-4245 on my work bench.  And I have a lot of non-transitorized MFJ stuff as well.

I have had failures with Kenwood (TS-520S and TS-440S) and Yaesu (FT-990 and FT-817).  Haven't had any problems with my MKV, IC-706MKIIG and IC-703 (at least not yet).  Guess its the luck of the draw.

Phil - AD5X
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »

I keep reading how bad MFJ equipment is , I've bought a number of items from MFJ and Ameritron and NEVER had an issue with any of their stuff . Always worked fine and the instructions were OK. You know , look around guys , there's not many companies that make ham radio acceseries left anymore . One of the few is MFJ and they have quite a lineup of things that are useful to hams . You know what the problem is ? Simple. A majority of hams are the cheapest bxxxxxds on the face of the planet . MFJ could build higher quality stuff , but you would'nt buy it , youre too cheap . So for what you are willing to spend , I think you get a pretty fair product . Good value for the buck . If you want higher quality , it can be found , for a higher price . Majority of hams wont do it . Champagne tastes on a beer budget .
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 03:34:45 AM »

I think WD6GLA has it correct. We all want a free lunch.
   MFJ does have occassional quality issues but... They have many usefull products that are not available from anyone else and are affordable.  
  Ameritron is part of MFJ. How many hams would have an Amplifier if it wasn't for the 811/811h ?
     Don WD8PTB
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:40:01 PM »

I keep reading comments from people dissing MFJ, but my experience with their products has been positive. My antenna tuner and my artificial ground are both from MFJ and they work fine. The straight key I use for CW is the key that came with my MFJ code practice oscillator, and it has been working OK for over a year. I taught myself how to solder using Vectronics' soldering course. And I built two of Vectronics' kits and they worked too. So no complaints from me.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »

i had never had any problem from MFJ or any kind,planing buy MFJ again before field day.

Jackie
KG4ORX
Website  http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 10:11:35 AM »

here sheep here sheep follow your shepard. every one repeat after me baaa baaaa Martin is King. folks that like  MFJ our probally the same folks that thought the Yugo. was the best made Car. or buy's 2 ply toliet paper
and splits the sheets in half to save on buying 2 rolls.

washes the plastic spoons and forks  that gets tossed away at pinics. and brushes off the used paper plates aswell.

folks there has been some good companyies like hy gain that mfj bought and trust me the same qauilty isnt there.   martin will take a great idea twist and turn all the quailty out of it. package it up paint it black. tell you it is great no matter what. and sell it to you.

and you all hail him as some great wonderfull preist of ham radio. because he can turn out tons of crap!!!

sure no one going to compete with him. he has a clear and open market to shove crap down the throats of his devoted and shall i say ignorant followers.

folks there is better stuff out there. i proved it on eham before. it dont cost alot more to get good stuff. be proud and support and buy reall gear from quailty manufactors.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 07:06:51 AM »

MFJ = Mighty Fine Junk....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »

Interesting that some folks make blanket condemnations of MFJ equipment but never post specific instances of problems. I think some folks just like to post to see their name or call sign in print and don't really have a clue what they are talking about - they just repeat the same old trite phrase bashing MFJ.

I have over a dozen pieces of MFJ equipment and not a single one has given me any problem or not been worth the money spent.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »

MFJ does make/distribute some gear lacking quality control. By the same token much of their catalog is ok. I have only had to return one item, the tiny-travel-tuner. Exchanged it for a 949E tuner which has worked well for QRP to 100 watts (yes, hand capacitance is irritating). Use the window antenna with their long telescopic whip which works surprisingly well. Never less than 20 watts though. Not QRP friendly.

I think MFJ would be well advised to cut down on their line and produce/distribute fewer but better quality products. Even raising the price a buck or two won't kill their customer base.

If you browse through the ham shack photos, you will note quite a few MFJ products on the operating desks. Can't all be bad or they wouldn't be there.
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 02:28:41 AM »

I think of MFJ as being like 1970s Radio Shack. Some real JUNK and also some solid stuff they've bought in large quantities from solid builders in exchange for having their name on it - in the 1970s Radio Shack had some good stereos etc that said RS on them but were made by solid companies.

There are a couple of freq counters, cute little handheld ones, sold by MFJ that are not made by them, they're made by the same factory that makes those counters for a bunch of companies, and they're decent little counters. Some of the MFJ 2-meter SWR meters and meter-tuners I'm sure are made by Daiwa or Diamond.

I'd run a mile from anything made BY MFJ though lol! Or at least get it CHEEP and open it up right away and do any needed repairs.....
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: