Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Rig Advice  (Read 790 times)
K3DSC

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »

I have been wanting to purchase my first HF rig for quite some time, but can't figure out which way to go.  I would like to have one that covers 6m and 2m as well, but that isn't really a necessity.  I wouldn't mind an older rig, but have been finding some of the "newer" rigs at prices just above those for the older technology.  The two rigs I have been looking at lately are the IC-706, both first version and MKIIG, and the IC-746, not the pro.  Are either of these better suited for a first rig, (ie. easier to use right out of the box) or better yet is there anything that one of these two does that makes it better or worse than the other?  Also, am I overlooking another rig that I should consider?

Thanks for the advice!
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »

The Icom 706 series is a proven one with many thousands of radios out there. However, The 706 is more computer than radio......    Mostly all menu driven, So kind of difficult for some people to operate. Once you get used to one they are not too bad to operate.

If you can swing it, I suggest the Kenwood TS-2000.
Now selling good used in the 1150 dollar range.
The 2000 is a true "do it all" radio that even cross band repeats from UHF to HF!  Really a neat feature to be able to walk around and work HF or monitor 6 meters from a little shirt pocket hand held radio!

For low cost HF only rigs, The good old Icom 735 is another good one around 350 bucks, And the newer Icom 718 is also a good buy, Around 500 bucks.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:32:16 AM »

A TS2000X was the first base rig I bought, even before I had HF privileges.  It gave me dual receivers for 2M/70CM FM, All mode capabilities on 6M/2M/70CM and 1.2GHz (satellites).  Using a combination of transceiver and transverters, etc., I could not have approached this capability for the price of the TS2000X.  Now that I have HF privileges, it is my "Swiss Army" radio.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »

The IC-706 original version is not as good as the MK2G version and of course is much older, since the MK2G's been on the market several years.

The IC-746 is easier to use because it has a larger panel with more controls, a larger display and less need to refer to menus.  For "home station" operation I would greatly prefer the 746 over the 706.

Whatever you do, I also recommend finding one "locally" so you can try it out and get some user instructions from the owner/seller prior to handing over any cash.  There are zillions of these out there for sale, I guarantee that one will be for sale near you.

WB2WIK/6
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:03:38 AM »

Depends on what you really want to do.  For less than the price of a new IC-746, you can buy a used IC-765 and have one of the best receivers ever made.  Even if you have to go to the expense of equipping it with all new filters, you'll still come out ahead.  The difference can be put towards better antennas.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:05:35 PM »

The Icom 765 (And 761) ARE good old rigs (Now selling used in the 600-800 dollar range) However are now getting somewhat "long in the tooth", With cap. replacement and other minor problems cropping up with most all of them.  IF you want a "better" HF radio, The best "bang for the buck" right now is the Icom 756PRO, Selling nowadays in the 900-1,000 area. A LOT of radio for that kind of money.
I maintain that one of the very best deals for a STARTER radio is the Kenwood TS-2000, That does LOTS of things the good old Icoms do not. Like VHF/UHF AND cross band repeat.
Should you later decide a better quality HF radio is warranted, Consider the great old Icoms.

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »

First off, I'm biased to "real radios have knobs" at least base station radios do.

I have a hard time arguing with the TS-2000 recommendation, although I wish you could have the choice of the FT-847, although the 847 does not have the same cross-band capabilities as the Kenwood.  I bought one for my first big rig and have been quite pleased.  Worked some DX with it as well.  I'll probably keep it as a primary radio for another year or two until I've saved up for an upgrade.

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »

Check out the eham feedback on ALL of the rigs you are considering as well as the Yahoo page for each for the GOOD & the BAD for each.I have owned a 706,706MII,& the original 746 & for home use I PREFER the 746 hands down with it's 100 watts on ALL bands as well as the built in tuner for HF/6 meters & I prefer a LARGER rig(display)for my shack.I had ZERO problems with either of these rigs but UPGRADED to an ICOM 756 PROII & ICOM 746 PRO in my shack!I think you would enjoy EITHER but for my money the 746 is a MUCH better deal & sounds SWEET with just the original hand mike if you don't have the cash for a good ICOM desk or HEIL boom mike.ICOM's RULE!!! }:>)

73's,
Clayton
W4KVW
N6KYS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:02:16 PM »

Icom IC-718.....GREAT rig, has DSP, and is cheap.

Get one!

Brad
N6KYS
K3DSC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 04:34:52 AM »

Thanks for all of the great advice!  After figuring out what I really wanted to do and how much I was willing to pay for it, I decided to purchase the IC-718 w/DSP.  It has gotten good reviews on here and was in the perfect price range since I bought an "experienced" model and saved an extra $100+.  To make up for the lack of coverage on 2m I found a nice cheap dual bander.  Thanks again!

Scott
W4MKH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »

I think you made a good choice.

I have a 718 for HF and a separate 2 meter rig for working the local repeaters. I find having a separate 2 meter rig a real plus. Often I am listening/talking on 2 meters while cruising HF for something. Most of the locals do the same thing and we often use 2 meters to report on HF openings or that rare DX.
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »

I'd say the Yaesu FT 857 or 897 definately not the 817 too small, as I've never used anything but Yaesu guess I'm biased Smiley

Charlotte 2E0BSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: