Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthing the station  (Read 1334 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »

Hi I have a slight problem with earthing my radio station. I've tried the multiple earth in the house alongside an external earth cable and there is no difference in the noise level or S points

I suffer with S9 on 80m and 40m 7-9 on 20 6-7 on 17, 15, 12 and 1 on 10 I even suffer 2 on 11m with or without the earths

Can some suggest how I can earth and what am i to expect.

Charlotte 2E0BSS
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

Charlotte.

Although a good ground can sometimes lower the noise slightly it appears you are getting noise from a source such as power lines, appliances, or electronics near your antenna. It is a lot of trouble, but the first step would be to use a receiver or portable transceiver to check the TV, computer, monitor, lights and any other electronic sources or disconnecting them one at a time. I use an H/T on 135.9 in AM mode; however a SW radio and checking different bands of interest in the AM mode will work well. When near a noise source, remove the antenna for pin pointing the problem. I do not know what your laws are regarding RFI, however locating sources such as bad power line transformers and insulators, street lamps, can be done the same way. I have had good luck in finding power line noise and having the power company fix the problem.

73, de Lindy
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »

Ok starting to check finding some very interesting noise levels on 135.9 AM

TV 4 bars
interestingly my Yaesu FT 857D is creating a noise level 4 bars (need advice on this one)

Lights just click so guessing theyre ok

The USB cable from my broadband and only the USB cable is causing noise levels around 2-3

Still checking but TV/Radio seems to be a higher level of noise even the central heating isn't making as much noise as radio and tv

Charlotte 2E0BSS

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »

Grounding is required for lightning safety and for using end fed wire antennas, but it will not solve noise problems, especially manmade noise.  YOu need to eliminate that noise at its source to make a difference.
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:52:10 AM »

Totally removing the noise levels I don't believe is possible. The noise goes away when I unplug the antennna though and the later it gets/earlier the noise will drop to an S4-6

Some times it gets so bad I can't use any band other than 10m otherwise I'm fighting S9/9+ noise levels

Charlotte 2E0BSS
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »

Thanks for all the great replies, I think I've found the largest noise maker it turns out the local authority have placed one of these automatic street lamps outside my house when it turns on the noise levels goes skywards good thing is it seems to be on a timer so it switches off around midnight and hey presto the noise drops.

Charlotte 2E0BSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: