Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment dualband antenna??  (Read 791 times)
MAV67

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »

Hi guys.  I live in a high rise apartment (10th floor of a 31 floor building).  I need some advice on what kind of antenna to install.  I'm really very limited with what I have to work with.  I don't even have a balcony I can use!  The best I could do is hang something out of a window, though I would much prefer something more permanent.  Given the circumstances, I do not expect anything extraordinary with super-duper gain, just something that will give me better performance than a handheld transceiver inside the house.  I'm really only interested in UHF/VHF capabilities for hitting FM repeaters.  Thanks.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »

Common solution:

Buy a good (high quality) 146/440 MHz dual band mag mount antenna.

Place it on something it will stick to magnetically, like a 5' tall steel file cabinet or similar.

Move that cabinet so that it's located right next to a window and the antenna itself is completely exposed to the glass window pane(s).

Use it.

Without "going outside," you won't do any better than this.

WB2WIK/6
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »

Good advice.  You might also try a few homebrew coaxial bazooka dipoles for different frequencies, mounted on plastic broom sticks or PVC pipes that you can easily put in and out of your windows!
MAV67

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:25:21 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  But one problem I can think of is the RF exposure.  Pretty much all the rooms with windows are occupied by people and are small, so that will limit me in terms of output power and gain.  Does anyone have any photos of ham antennas that are mounted slightly outside?  I don't mind trying to home-brew something but would like a few ideas to get me going.....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 08:21:13 AM »

<< But one problem I can think of is the RF exposure. Pretty much all the rooms with windows are occupied by people and are small, >>

If you do the exposure calculations you'll find that there is little exposure hazard over about 6-8' with the typical installation. A non-issue unless you are sitting right next to the antenna.

http://n5xu.ece.utexas.edu/rfsafety/

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »

You might want to try installing small flagpole mounts (or holders) right outside the windows you want to use.  Then you can easily slip your antennas in and out of them when you are on or off the air!
MAV67

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:48:06 AM »

ONAIR, that sounds like a very viable idea.  Would you know if there are any ready-made products?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »

Not off hand, but you might find that a web search for "flag" or "flagpole" holders or mounts may locate just what you need!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: