Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Power  (Read 798 times)
KC2PTA

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:02:54 PM »

Ok, I run Icom-706mk2, and I use a deep cycle marine battery for power. I keep it charged, but i built a wooden weather proof box out side for the battery, i was told i need to change it to a metal diamond plating box. Will i have to change to the metal box? or is the wooden one sufficiant? thank you all for your time.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »

HuhHuh   WHY would you have to change the box? Who told you that???

I have been using deep cycle type battery power to run my entire ham shack radios and emergency lights for over 20 years now, (With really good results)

I keep my deep cycle battery indoors inside a plastic marine type battery box.
(The big fear of so called "outgas" is not a problem UNLESS you had a commercial power failure and then try to recharge your battery rapidly. Under those conditions, Do provide plenty of ventilation.)

Do use a large size fuse right near the battery, Run nice heavy wire to your equipment.

I have found that a 10 amp FULLY AUTOMATIC battery charger is the best size to keep the battery fully charged with any normal transmit/receive duty cycle.

At around 50 bucks for a brand new marine type deep cycle battery, Less than 40 bucks for a 10 amp fully automatic charger, And around 5 bucks for the plastic battery box, You are still well under 100 dollars for a complete power supply that will also supply emergency power in the event of a commercial power outage!    An AGM type battery is even better than the marine deep cycle type, But costs quite a bit more..........
KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

so would it be better if i brought the battery into my shack? or does the cold weather/ hot summer not effect the eficiantcy of the battery?

thank you for your posting.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't bring a normal marine type battery inside the shack. They can vent hydrogen gas during charging. If you want it inside use an AGM or SLA battery that is sealed and designed for indoor service.

I know of no reason that you can't use a wood box outside for the battery.

Temperature won't affect the battery so long as you keep it charged. They can freeze if they are left completely discharged. Think about all the vehicle batteries that survive out in the weather.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »

A fully charged lead-acid battery will not freeze under most normal conditions, but the batteries are affected by temperature - as they get colder, they take less and less current to keep topped off.  A cold battery will not discharge quite as fast as a warm one but at the power draw you are looking at it's not likely to be an issue.

Nothing wrong with a wood box - as long as it's keeping the elements at bay.

Unless you habitually use a very high-capacity charger, outgassing is not an issue under most circumstances, but if you have a wet-cell with caps that's already outside, why mess with things.  Just make sure your power cable runs are fat enough to keep voltage drop at a minimum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: