Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaseu ft897d SWR too high  (Read 1369 times)
GHDUTCH

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »

new tech
trying to transmit by using instruction in manual and when doing a radio check the swr meter is off the charts, get reading on the radio that HSWR.  Using a diamond x50a.
What can I do, is there how to's or forums for new users to get to know their equipment, it gets a little frustrating if you know what I mean?
AI4LG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:56:14 AM »

Richard-
Congrats on the new ticket and welcome to this fine hobby.  Something is fundamentally wrong! Some things to check out - easy ones first.
 1) the FT-897 has two antenna connections.  Make sure that the X50 is connected to the 144/430 antenna jack (pg 18 of manual).  
2) Make sure you are on the correct band/frequency (pg. 13) 146.520 is the national calling frequency and a good one to use.  
3) make sure you are in the correct mode (pg.13) FM.
 Try it. BRIEFLY!
If still HSWR, it is probably a bad coax connector, bad coax, or a faulty antenna.  At this point, web help will be difficult, but a local Elmer becomes very helpful.  The club where you took your test should have lots of people willing and able to help.  
There is a yahoo user's group you might want to check out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT897/
If this isn't clear, feel free to email me at mycall at comcast.net.  The FT897 is a great rig.  You'll love it.  And again, Congrats and Welcome!

de AI4LG - Rick
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:46:11 AM »

Make sure you are NOT running the coax for the Diamond through your tuner. It should be straight from the rig to the antenna via the VHF/UHV antenna port.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
GHDUTCH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »

great advice, trillion thanks, I will try tonight.

rick
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »

You seem to have had quite a few problems with this rig.  Are you sure you don't have a radio club that you could enlist to help you live and in person?  

From what I've been able to gather:

1.  You have an FT-897.  I have one - good rig if a bit menu complex.

2.  You have a Diamond X-50.

3.  You have an LDG AT-100 Pro antenna tuner [I also have one of those]

4.  You have some sort of HF antenna.

I strongly suspect you have some switch settings wrong.

1.  the X-50 connects directly to the output on the back of the FT-897 - labeled 144/440 mhz.  It does NOT go to the tuner, it connects directly to the FT-897.

2.  the AT-100 connects with it's short co-ax jumper cable to the 50mhz/HF antenna port on the FT-897.  This jumper then connects to the TX port on the back of the AT-100Pro.

3.  the AT-100 has TWO antenna ports on the back.  It's important to know which antenna you connect to.  You switch between them by pressing the ANT [Hi/LoZ] button on the AT-100.  the LED's point to the port that is active - it switches between port 1 and 2.  IF IN DOUBT, TUNE TO WWV on 5-10 or 15 Mhz and switch between the antenna ports.  You will NEVER get a match or hear anything with the wrong port selected.

4.  Connect the anntenna coax to the antenna.

5.  Connect power to the AT-100Pro - it needs 13.8 volts DC or it will not tune.

6.  Verify the port on the AT-100 one last time....

Now that you have antennas on both ports of the radio, you are a bit more mistake proof.

the radio will automatically switch between the VHF/UHF antenna port and the HF antenna port.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: