Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7000 vs other HF/VHF/UHF rigs  (Read 1454 times)
EX_AA5JG

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »

I am currently running one of the HF/VHF/UHF mobile
sized rigs, and have been looking now and then at the
Icom 7000, and wonder how it compares with the other
rigs on the market.  Now I know all about the DSP
based filters and the flexibility they afford you in
creating different filter widths, etc, but the filters
in the rig I am using do well enough and adding the AF
DSP bandpass filtering cleans it up a good deal more
(even though it is at AF level).  So I am not going to
make a decision based on the DSP filters.

Switching to an Icom 7000 would run me about $400 to
$450 more, so is it worth it?  How does the front end
on the 7000 compare with these other rigs?  How about
the other features on it, and how easy is it to use?
Would the extra $450 or so really give me that much
greater performance?  I do have to admit, the voice
keyer would be nice for roving operations.

Or would the extra money be better spent on a 2m amp and getting the UHF antenna up in the air-I need a rotor and mast for it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:38:56 AM by AF5CC » Logged
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »

I take it you are using this set up as a base station and not mobil?
If so, Look long and hard at the Kenwood TS-2000 "do it all" radio, Which includes CROSS BAND repeat. A really neat feature.

The TS 2000 is now selling good used for about 1100 dollars, And brand new in the 1500 area.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »

I love my TS2000X.  almost five years and still going strong.
WM2P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »

The IC-7000 is the only rig I have kept after selling or trading other rigs several times. I recommended it to a "older" ham who liked it so much he bought another for his cabin.

I use mine mobile but have used one in the shack at times. I find the receiver to be very good and nice and quiet. I have owned and used an Icom 756 PRO III, 746 Pro and two Kenwood TS-2000s. I current use a Yaesu FT-2000D for my base rig.

The TS-2000 is a jack of all trades but is older technology and getting older each day. Many like it because it is an easy rig to operate and you only have to learn how to use one rig to use HF/VHF/UHF. It also has a lot of features like a built in simple TNC for packet work, satellite support and some others I foget right now. It also has GREAT audio right out of the box. I have used it side by side, same antenna and DX station, with my 7000 and found that I could hear stations with the 7000 using its many rich DSP features that I could not hear with the TS-2000. I sold the TS-2000 and kept the 7000 as a result. Admittedly these were weak stations but since replacing the TS-2000 with various other rigs I find that I now am able to work weak signals much better than before. I think many would agree that the Kenwood TS-2000 is not known for its very sensitive receiver. Do not get me wrong as my good friend has worked every state and over a 100 countries as far away as Cambodia with the TS-2000 on SSB and digital modes. We have often been on the air at the same time and work the same DX. I just have more control over my recieved and transmitted signals than he has but how much that matters can not be determined because of differences in location and antennas. Just making the point that you can win all the awards out there with the TS-2000 if you work at it.

To be honest, the hand mic that comes with the 7000 does not sound very good depending on your voice. Many of us spent an extra $29 to have it modified after which it sounds very good. Before we hit this current lull in the solar cycle I would make several DX contacts a day from my car with good signal reports. There is a small list of things I do not like about the 7000 but in general it is a great mobile rig and lots of them are being sold each day.

There are lots of pros and cons for each radio and I would not put down the TS-2000 as it has a very good price/performance ratio. Other than it being older tecchnology, good but not great receiver, I just do not like the ergonomics of it and its lack of the more sophisticated abilities of the new rigs. I would love one as a backup rig or VHF/UHF rig but not as my primary HF rig.

In general though, I am not a big fan of mobile rigs for base stations. Too many menus to suit my taste and style of operating. Personally since I am primarily a HF kind of guy, I would get the Icom 746 Pro (HF/6/VHF) and a cheap UHF mobile radio and you will end up with the same band coverage in a more modern radio. On the used market your cost should be similar to the cost of a new 7000. You need to decide if you want a state-of-the-art rig or an "old reliable" jack of all trades. You will not regret either choice so pick the one that thrills you the most. After buying and selling 7 rigs in one year I have learned that the rig for me is the one I enjoy operating the most and not the one with the most features and better specs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: