Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just purchaed an........  (Read 644 times)
KD8HIX

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »

ic-746. is there anything I need to watch out for? The radio works perfect at the moment.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »

Congratulations.  It was a good rig.

Watch out for?

Um, don't drop it on your toe.

WB2WIK/6
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »

You buy it first, then you ask if there are any things to look out for? LOL

Seriously, I've not one issue where it has had to go into the hospital for repairs. One time (and one time only) I turned on the rig and the back light on the display never came on. Turned the rig off, then back on, and it was lit. That happened over a year ago and has never happened again. Some will say to keep the back light at 75% or better, and you'll never have a problem.

Over all performance of the rig is outstanding for the money IMHO.

Have fun with it.

KG6WLS
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »

Common problems with this radio include the regulator transistor for the back-light going bad, and the IC-151 RF driver chip going bad. Symptoms of the first problem include the back light flickering, turning on and off at random, running dim, or suddenly changing brightness. These symproms will usually show up a number of months before the back light completely stops working.

The second problem will not give any advanced warning. The radio will just stop producing any measurable power on all bands.

The original 746 (non-pro) seemed to be more susceptible to the backlight problem, while the newer 746PRO seems to have more problems with the RF driver IC chip.

I bought a new 746 about a year after Icom intriduced them, and within 2-3 years, I experienced the backlight problem along with a failure of one of the relays in the automatic antenna tuner.

I set up a web page detailing how to repair the backlight problem at:

http://www.ka1mda.org/ham/746/index.htm

Judging by the amount of email I receive, the backlight problem appears to be fairly common.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

I bought a new IC-746 in 1999 and loved it -- despite the dial backlight going out after a few years. Out of warranty, naturally. Sold it to a new ham up in Maine and missed it so much that I bought a new IC-746Pro. No problems whatsoever with it. Great radio.

73 and GL,
N4KZ
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »

I had a 746 and now I have a 746 PRO.  They are great radios.......Knock wood I have had no issues

George, W6GF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: