Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF vs. Computer equipment in the shack  (Read 666 times)
WA5ZTE

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

It's been a long time since I was on the air but want to put up an antenna from this QTH and see what's out there.

I'm also considering the purchase of a tuner but have seen some information noting that RF can wreak havoc on mother boards, hard drives, and other solid state equipment in the computer box.  

I'm planning on a good ground for the shack - probably a 1" Cu pipe in back of the desk where all equipment will be grounded to a 8' ground rod with braid.

Is there a danger to my computer?  Should I be especially attentive to something special to protect it?  

The desk is about 4' long.  Should I separate the CPU from the IC-740 or tuner?  Surely there is Some way to do this.  Hams communicate via packet all the time!  But how?

I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks very much.

Mike
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »

I have a computer on the floor below my radios, connected to the internet, and to the radios, my wattmeter, etc. None of my rigs are grounded to each other. I simply connect them to the power supply, hook up the antenna, and go for it. When older tube rigs with high voltages were AC powered with 2 prong non polarized plugs, grounding was much more important. Not so much today. I have no problems with RF affecting my computer, or the computer affecting my radios. My vertical antenna is about 75 feet away from the house, has about 50 radials, is grounded at the antenna, and back to the house ground and the entry point to the house. I am currently not running an amp, so little RF gets back in the house. No issues whatsoever.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »

My antennas are outside, all my cables and connectors are of good quality and well constructed, and my rig and computers are inside.  No problems at all.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:55:55 AM »

I run both a Desk top and laptop within 3' of my Pro-III, IC-746, High power 2 meter, and about 4' from legal limit amp. Most installations run into problems when using poorly set up antennas and ground systems. My beam is 30' above the shack, and all my other antennas are within 50'. I have never had a problem other than the monitor buzzing 20 meters years ago and that was fixed by changing the refresh rate. Proper antenna system design is the key rather than hanging beads on everything in the house. Have fun!

73 de Lindy
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:06:53 AM »

My computer is two feet from the rigs and amps. I run a KW when necessary and have no problems.

The key is a proper antenna system and keeping RF off the feed line and out of the shack.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:44 AM »

I have two computers sitting right beside me and two radios on the table top just above and an LCD monitor. There is no noise problem with this set-up at all.

These are all within 2 feet of each other.

The only problem I have had is when I had the speakers systems to one computer plugged into the electrical strip that the radio was connected to.

Then I got into the speakers.

When I moved the speaker power cube to another outlet the interference stopped.

So, I would say no you should not have any problems.

John
WA5ZTE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:41:34 AM »

Thanks very much, folks.  I really appreciate your information.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: