Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1600 to set up jeep and home  (Read 1658 times)
W5CWG

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »

Hi all,
I have $1600 to step up to hf, I was thinking about an IC-7000 and AH-4 and swapping from home to jeep. Then got to thinking maybe a FT-857D with FC-40 for jeep plus an IC-718 for home. Or just buy an IC-746PRO for the house. As far as jeep it's already wired up and and ready to go with rigrunner, 8 AWG wires to battery, ball mount with 102" whip, and FT-8800 with larsen 270 NMO. The house has not been prepd at all yet.
 I've used the IC-718 and TS-570 at winter field day. Liked the IC-718 alot. I'm not opposed to used gear, just really don't know enough to trust myself as to checking it out, before buying. I will not buy something I can't get a local Elmer to go with me and put hands on and operate. Just waiting on income tax to pull the trigger on this and March 8th to up grade.
Cody
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »

Get the 718.  You'll still have over $1K for the other goodies!
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »

Hi Cody,
Three things for your fixed (home) station. Decide what kind of hamming you want to do most; then, its ANTENNA ANTENNA ANTENNA. Seriously, A good rig won't do much on a poor antenna. Spent some bucks on an antenna for your style of operating, then go for a rig.
Rob WA9UAA
W5CWG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Mainly SSB and the only antenna I can put up here is a vertical on the corner of my chain link fence. Thinking about a Hustler 6BTV Vertical using the fence as the counterpoise.
Cody
N1EDU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »

How about the mobile radio you want, the truck antenna, and some kick a** ramps to put jeep on the roof of house for QTH station?  Can't you just see the TV add now?  String out a sloper from truck down to the fence. . .

Seriously tho, I have the IC 7000 as my HF rig.  I move it back and forth between house and my F-350.  I was doing that a lot more in the summer than now.  I use ham sticks which are annoying when I want to change bands while driving.

I wish I had a dedicated station radio at home, and some day I might.  I liked the 718 but no 6 mtr or FM (will be fun when the 10 mtr repeaters open again).

Good luck deciding. There  is no one single answer.

Dave
N1EDU
New Hampshire
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: