Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: uk soon to be foundation station building question  (Read 691 times)
SKIPPYONTHEAIR

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

Hi,

Just trying to get a few things worked out in my head and have spent too much time now reading reviews so thought I would ask.

Initial plan is HF with a bit of dabbling in VHF, Would like to do contesting and DX if possible from the North of Scotland and aim at some stage to work the ISS but know I need a VHF antenna for that!

Looking for something that is future proof, ie being able to go from 10w to 50 to 100+

Maybe an ATU that can cope with more than one antenna or rig.

More than happy to buy from the US if required.

Tranciever

Yaseu 857 or 897? - I believe they are the same, one is a portable base station and the other is a base station that is portable.

Is there anything else that does everything?

ATU -
LDG897
MFJ949
MFJ969
Other?

Power supply
Manson EP925 or PalstarPS30 (Believe same unit just rebadged)
Mydel MP8230
Mydel MP250
Other?

Do I need a PSU if operating from home using the above radios and if not what do I need.

Antenna
Chapstick MP1
Slinky
Other?

Antenna has to be portable, cover HF, mainly used used indoors as I cant mount an external arial. Dont have room to run a longwire. Budstick too expensive. Something easy to tune using an Atu, Ie not having to rebuild when chaning bands.

Property is 300 years old in a tourist area with granite walls on 3 sides, Anything outside cant be seen from the street, hence the portable option.

Plan is to place the antenna in the conservertory (glass roof room with glass on 2 sides, and about 10ft in height.)

Cant be permanant.

I'm trying to do this for under £700 ($1400), Transciever is £500 alone in the UK.

Thanks for any help or advice in this how long is a long wire question!

Soon to be MM3
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:20:26 AM »

Neither includes a powersupply.  

The 857 is more of a mobile radio (vehicle).  Its very small but does not have internal powersupply or internal batteries option.  

The 897 is larger and more of a "base" station.  However you can add either internal power supply (FP30) or internal battery (FNB-78) for true portable operation.

If you go with an external powersupply,  you need 13.6 volts at about 23 amps to get full output of either rig.  I use a 10 amp supply I already had with my FT-897D and just keep the output to 50 watts or less.

2E0WAG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »

Skippy MM3,
You are doing what I did, and am still doing to a degree. As you know an MM3 licence restricts you to 10W. A licence upgrade will give you more power and more bands. I'm an intermediate so I've still got one upgrade to go, so I'm not basing my station on a 50W limit, I'm thinking possibilities of high power and all bands. (Whether I eventually use them or not)
I have an 857 without an integral power supply obviously. In my opinion this is a more flexible set up because :
The 857 footprint is very small.
If you want you can put the PSU under the bench or near the mains socket, and the 857 on the operating desk, if you're short of space.
Transporting or manhandling the 857 and separate PSU (2 smallish units) will be easier than one mains powered TxRx (larger and heavier).
The 857 is powered from 12 VDC. If the mood takes you now you have the option of mobile operation, or batteries and solar panels on a camping trip, think of it as a chunky 817 !  Neither of these last two is possible with a mains only powered rig.
Food for thought. Also, sounds like a nice house !
Regards,
Dave, 2E0WAG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: