Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding question or 2  (Read 684 times)
N9XM

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »

Hi all, This should have went up last fall but got delayed. I am about to install a Mosley beam on my garage roof using a glen Martin tower. I have 2 inch copper strap for grounding running from one leg to 3 interconnected ground rods spread out over about 30 feet along the edge of the garage. Will it hurt anything if the strap lays on top of the shingles or touches the siding? Does anyone know what the NEC rules are on this? I know that the older lightning rod setup on my mothers house was stapled down to the roof. I want to get this right the first time. All suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks and 73 ,Chris ,n9xm
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »

It is important that your copper strap not come in direct contact with any galvanized material, (Like roof gutters, etc) Or even to use galvanized nails. (Copper nails are made to attach it if needed)
(You can clamp the copper strap to the tower with a stainless steel transition strap or clamp, And/or use a good coat of anti-ox protected from the rain.)

Also very important to keep all bends and curves in the copper ground strap very gradual. No sharp bends!
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:09:35 PM »

HMMMMM!  We run this stuff on the floor and up the wall and all over the place. The only time it will hurt to lay on the shingles is if you take a big hit. It may get a little warm and cause some damage to the roof. But that probably will be minor to other things. I would keep it fairly well radiused coming over the roof edge, but if we need to make a turn on the floor, we make it a 90 degree bend by turning it at a 45 degree angle and flattening it.Make sure all connections are very tight.  73  de W5ROY  Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: