Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outbacker 500 or ????  (Read 797 times)
AF5LO

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

I am not sure if we have a CC&R in our area, although a guy down the street has a nice R5 on his chimney against a background of tall trees.  In any case, we have a small lot, 2-story house, and only one decent sized tree right next to the back of the house.  The backyard is fenced with wood to about 6 feet high.  Shack will be on second floor next to window on the side of the house.  So, am going to get back on the air and need antenna advice.  Read reviews on the Outbacker 500 and it looks like a nice unit for camping and such - but how will it perform as a base antenna?  Do I need the expensive AD tripod, or can I use one of the Larsen, MFJ, or RS ones?  Modes will be mostly SSB with some SWL and CW.  Power 100 watts (barefoot).  I just don't seem to have to supports for a wire.  What about a slinky in the attic?  Dangerous?  Attic access right above shack.  House is very large and suspect attic to be very big (never been up there).  I'm not a spry person, so can't do too much up there.  

Any and all replies will be appreciated!

Lenny KX8X
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

The outbacker antenna is a great antenna for its size. I use one mobile. The secret to making this thing work is as they say in the book  GROUND GROUND GROUND.I would also consider a Gap titan dx. This is a super antenna, and can be mounted at ground level with great results, and it does not require any radial system. My choice would be the Gap Titan DX. I know a man in Az. that worked dxcc on one in a grove of orange trees. I am sure you will get many more recommendations from others. Whatever the end choice just do the best you can and have a ball at it.  73  de W5ROY  Roy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »

Almost any wire antenna will work better than the Outbacker. Try and run a doublet from a mast above that window. Save a lot of money and get much better performance.

73 de Lindy
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »

If you have one decent sized tree (30 feet tall or preferably taller, with branches that can support the center of an inverted vee wire antenna), I'd use it.

It only takes one tall support to install a very good inverted vee antenna.  The taller, the better.  

Use a rope to haul up a very good pulley (with a rope through it and tied in a long loop that reaches the ground, so you can't lose the rope) into the highest part of the tree, and tie that off so the pulley stays there.  Then use the rope that goes over/through the pulley to haul up a center insulator or balun with preattached feedline; spread out the "legs" of the doublet to create an apex angle of 90 degrees or more; use ropes to tie them off to anyplace you can -- and you have a working inverted vee.  I can usually get one up in any sort of tree within fifteen minutes, and the installation's almost done.

With a pulley up there, you can raise and lower antennas to your heart's content very easily, so you can experiment with what works best.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: