Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding  (Read 677 times)
NJ2H

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »

To tie my shack/antenna mast ground (which currently has three ground rods) into the power/tel ground, the wire will have to cross above ground over concrete for about twenty feet. There is no way of going under the concrete for that distance. I'm not a expert on this, so I wonder if there is any problem with the bonding wire not being in continuous contact with earth.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »

Not a good idea.  They should be on or in the ground.  Go around the concrete instead.
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

Rent a concrete saw from the local rental yard, cut a slit, run your ground wire in it, then seal it up. Or use an expansion joint in your existing slab. They make an epoxy sealer specifically to fill concrete joints.

Mike
AI4NS
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »

I agree.  Rent a concrete saw that will cut a kerf wide enough to lay a solid #6 copper wire in, And a tube of that special concrete caulk to hold it in place would be the best way. OR just go around the slab as suggested. (NO sharp bends in any ground wire however! Make the bends a very gradual radius)
And if for some reason you cannot do it either way, Then do run it above ground somehow. (A distant third choice to do)  But all grounds DO need to be bonded together.
N5RMS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »

Did you use 8 ft. or longer ground rods? Did you drive them all the way in the earth?  If you answered yes to both question.  I, personally, would not worry about tieing the two together.

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:58:17 AM »

Again, ALL GROUNDS NEED TO  BE BONDED TOGETHER!

PERIOD.  

Anyone who tells  you otherwise knows little to nothing about real lightning protection.  

NJ2H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »

I contacted QST. The technical editor, Joel W1ZR told me there is no problem with the wire running over the concrete. It does not have to be buried. He was more concerned that I was using several ground rods at the shack ground, which I am.
KC8HQX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 05:48:16 AM »

The real issue is having a span that long with no intermediate ground rods. The longer the span between ground rods, the greater potential (difference) caused by a nearby strike. If you can manage it, flat copper flashing would be *much* better for the ground run you're talking about.

You can get a 10"x 20' roll of copper flashing from Lowes for about $38. Cut in half or third wide, you'd have 40 or 60 feet worth of high quality, low impedance ground conductor.

Doug
KC8HQX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: