Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying new rig, questions?  (Read 1232 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »

I Have decided to order the ft-2000 with dmu and external matching speaker
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »

I had the same question and doubts.For your budget you could buy an Icom 746PRO for the house and an Ic-7000 for the the truck.I heard 2 on the air and the audio was not great. Just my HO.

Joe K4XZ
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »

K7RNV you are "WRONG" about needing Dual Receive to work split.I work split from my mobile with the ICOM 7000 with NO PROBLEMS what so ever & it does NOT have DUAL RECEIVE.You can NOT listen to TWO frequencies at the same time but MOST any rig will work split by using VFO-A for receive & VFO-B for transmit(SIMPLE). You need only to hear the other stations transmiting frequency NOT your transmiting frequency!It is more FUN having DUAL WATCH or DUAL RECEIVE like in my shack on my 756 PROII but NOT at all REQUIRED for split operation.Buy what rig will make YOU happy.I PREFER ICOM's myself!

73's,
Clayton
W4KVW
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »

Another vote from another Icom fan. I have had my Pro III for a little over a year. I've used it on every band and for all modes. You would be hard pressed to find another rig that does everything as well as the Pro III. I will never again buy a rig that does not have a Spectrum Scope.

I recently started using the Pro III with Ham Radio Deluxe and DM-780. It is an excellent rig for the digital modes.

Rick N6NKN
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

My Dad just built his K3. I have the PRO 3.  Both rigs are very close in performance, each does something a bit better than the other.

The K3 is lacking a few minor features, no band enrty buttons ( like any other modern rig), no scope ( I have a hard time using a rig w/o one now I have one!).

I'd go with the K3, if you don't mind about a 6 month wait for the rig.

73 Chuck KI9A
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »

"If you do not get a radio with dual receive, you will not be able to work split and miss alot of good DX"

Not true. You are mistaking dual recieve with both an A & B VFO.  And all modern rigs have that feature.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »

I have to agree with the others, the dual recieve is something you'll wonder how you survived without it once you try it! The 756 Pro II is my current radio and it is the best one I have used in 30 years of hamming (I have used a couple of 940's, a 930, an FT-890 a 746 and 756 non Pro's, a SDR-1000 among many others) the LCD display has netted many QSO's I would have missed, I would be lost without it, IMO the in-band dual recieve is all you need, the dual watch on the Icom is plenty good and as they mentioned in previous post, the 1st pileup with a wide split will sell you on it, it's great!! Also the Pro is one of the best RTTY rigs on the market. Tough PA on cont duty modes, I run 100w on rtty till the cows come home! I am pretty sure you would be delighted with the Pro III, no doubt.
I think the FT-950 would a big step down just to have the scope with the DMU unit, that would be a big mistake to have a scope on a lesser rig when you could get it all and have a couple of hundred bucks left over with a Pro III.

K4FX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: