Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May QST article on purchasing HF transceiver  (Read 1137 times)
NR9R

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »

The May 2008 QST features an article to aid in purchasing a new HF transceiver and lists several by price, performance, features etc.

I couldn't help but notice that the TS-2000 was listed as having a price of $1450 and a receiver 3OIMD of 57 dBm at 2kHz spacing.

In the March 2008 QST there is a similar table included as an inset within the FT-950 review.  This table lists the TS-2000 with a price of $1570 and a 3OIMD of 66dBm at 2kHz.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a new TS-2000 for $1450?  I think that's about what they go for on ebay.

Where did the 57dBm come from?  Sherwood Engineering has this number posted on their website, but it was referenced in error from the QST review of the TS-2000, which actually published 67dBm.  So in effect, QST published a piece of data that was found on the web, which was actually a typographical error of data published in an earlier QST.  That's kinda funny!  

Best,

Anthony NR9R
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »

Not exactly sure of your point regarding Sherwood Engineering.  As of this moment, the TS-2000 does not appear in his table showing receiver test data.  At any rate, you can be sure that if it's in his table, he's tested it himself.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:14:35 AM »

TS-2000 is all over the web for $1549 (new) right now.  Don't see it for $1450.  But $1450 would be a lousy deal for a used one, it's only $100 off the brand new 2008 price.

Sherwood doesn't list the TS-2000 RX performance at all.  I just re-checked the list updated 4/07/08 and it's still not there.

WB2WIK/6
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »

You are both correct that the TS-2000 does not appear in Sherwood Engineering's lab results, and that Sherwood Engineering has never evaluated this transceiver.  But you will find other comparison tables on the website.

Here is a table comparing recently manufactured transceivers:

http://www.sherweng.com/presentation.html

If you click on the PP presentation you will find a slide indicating these results come from QST.  Without looking at the presentation it is easy to assume that these results come from a Sherwood measurement.

This is the only place that I have ever seen this number.

Although it is hard to understand why, I have seen  the TS-2000 go for around $1450 on ebay.  I think it was when stock was low in the US.

Anyway, my point is that I would like to regard QST as a somewhat professional-edited-magezine that exceeds the quality of a local ARC newsletter.

Best,

Anthony
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »

"Although it is hard to understand why, I have seen the TS-2000 go for around $1450 on ebay"

Ebay prices are driven up by people who would rather win than get a good price.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »

Anthony, in considering the best rig for a given expenditure there are a bunch of factors.  My thoughts:

(1) man/machine interface. is the front panel the type of radio you wish to operate

(2) frequency coverage wanted.  hf-only, or +6m, or +2m, or + 440MHz

(3)performance.  there are a number of metrics, but at least compare blocking dynamic range, IMD dynamic range and phase noise.  if you enjoy CW in contests or pileups - the small frequency spacing values are more critical.  

yes the ARRL does their own testing, and their efforts are useful.  Sherwood certainly has some interesting info and generally he has more time to check difference nuances of the rigs (like uncovering the AGC may not be so good on the IC-7000).  

i sense the value of the TS-2000 is in frequency coverage.  other similar priced rigs have better performance but less frequency coverage.  

my own shack uses a K2, which doesn't work out-of-the-box.  maybe higher end that you might be looking are the Omni-VII and the K3.  at first glance the FT-950 looks interesting.  i just don't see the TS-2000 being in the same class as these rigs, and i have not had good experience with Kenwood's technical support.  

Take your time and do your homework, including any opportunities to use other's rigs.  

73, curt
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »

N3OX Dan you are so right about e-bay and people "winning", I have about given up on ebay for ham gear, I saw a FT-857D, well used, go for 650 plus shipping when a new one with the sep. kit was going for 629 with free shipping from GigaParts, it's common to see popular items sell for more than they cost new.

Anything remotely worth having on ebay is pretty sure to bring top dollar and then some, the bright side is that if you want to sell something, it will go fast, I sold an antenna recently and posted it "buy it now" for the standard going price used and it sold in about 30 minutes!

K4FX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: