Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Tower Advice Source  (Read 624 times)
N1OU

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »

Okay, I've finally moved to a QTH where I can have a tower -- older residential neighborhood with no CC&R problems and I've already talked with all my neighbors and they have no objections to a tri-bander on a 50 footer.

What I'd like to find is a good "overall" write-up on towers covering things like permits, installation tips, grouding/lightning provisions, guying, etc. etc.

I want to take my time and do it right so I'll have an installation I'll be proud of and that will require minimum maintenance.  Some of the tower sellers offer help if you buy from them (that's great), but I want to do my research first before I buy anything.  All suggestions welcome!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »

If you don't already own a recent copy of the ARRL Antenna Book, get one.

Also go here and read this:

http://www.championradio.com/tn-topten-mistakes.html

Steve K7LXC (Champion Radio) is a pro tower installer and offers a lot of very good advice: Some for free, and some for sale (printed publications).

However, much like riding a bike, driving or making love, you can't use advice as a substitute for experience.

WB2WIK/6

K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »

I do not have mine up yet but here are some good sites.  As far as permits go they will be different everywhere.  Find a local ham and get with them on their permit experience and what they had to do.  Volunteer to help out at any tower/antenna party you can find.  I take the opportunity to safely climb any SAFE tower I can.  I agree with WB2WIK, there's no substitute for experience.  

http://www.alton-moore.net/towers.html
http://k7nv.com/index.htm

There is also a lot of info on the contesting.com website under their tower talk archives.

Jim
K5CQB
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to specify this link too.

http://k7nv.com/notebook/topics/TowerTips.pdf
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »

>Good Tower Advice Source  Reply  
by N1OU on May 23, 2008  Mail this to a friend!  
Okay, I've finally moved to a QTH where I can have a tower -- older residential neighborhood with no CC&R problems and I've already talked with all my neighbors and they have no objections to a tri-bander on a 50 footer.<

::One last tip: Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, but going forward, I would not recommend you talk to neighbors about putting up a tower.  Talk to them after it's done and permitted.

It only takes one nosey neighbor to screw things up in the permitting process.

Best approach I've found to determining what, if any, permits are required is to go to City Hall, or the Dept. of Building and Safety if it's a separate facility (as it is in most large cities), and tell them you're putting up a tower and want to know if you need a building permit.  I make this a statement ("I am installing a tower") and not a question ("Is it okay to install a tower?")

Based on the experience of installing towers at all 15 homes I've owned over the years...

WB2WIK/6  
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »

The article in the lastest QST said it is an "Antenna Support Structure" not a Tower.  The word Tower invokes thoughts of Cell Towers and it a classic case of NIMBY (not in my back yard).  Everyone uses a cell phone but they don't want any cell towers in their town.  Some cell companies have gone to renting Church Steeples and installing the antennas inside them since most are fiberglass.

Clint - W5CPT
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »

Find a copy of April 2008 POPULAR COMMUNICATIONS magazine.  Cover article is all about towers, And low cost ways to obtain and install them.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

TowerTalk right here on eHam.net is an excellent source for everything related to towers.

73, N4KZ
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »

Thanks to all -- good stuff for me to look into.  It'll keep me busy for a while!

N1OU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: