Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT857D and FT897D  (Read 2728 times)
AB7JK

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »

Comparing the FT857D and FT897D which is best not considering portability/size differences?

Some posts state these radios are terrific, others state they are awful with poor audio despite the DSP. Who is right or is it just subjective?  Thanks
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »

K7VO,

You really need to get over me, forget about me, or at least stop responding to my posts. You obviously dislike me, disagree with my observations so why do you persist? Knowing your type I'd be worried IF you agreed with my beliefs.

You are more than a little nutty. If my beliefs are so misguided why associate with me? Says something about you if it's true.

Think you can save me? - prove to yourself you are worthy or superior? Another nutty female trick that never works. Yeah tell me you've saved some guy in the past. LMAO

I know everything about your kind, K7VO.
Move on.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:15:17 AM »

I have both rigs.  I also have a Ten-Tec Argo V and an IC-7000.  The receiver in the 857 and 897 are pretty much identical.  They are pretty good unless you have a large electrical storm moving through.  They don't like the static and tend to confuse and intermingle the electromagnetic crashes with actual human modulation.  Aside from that, the receivers are fairly good from a contesting standpoint.  They handle adjacent signals much better than the Ten-Tec. The Ten-Tec is much, much more pleasant to listen to for long periods however.

The DSP on the yaesu's is pretty good actually.  Other than the notch filter which does more harm than good.  For my use, i'm probably going to sell my 857 and keep the 897.  It's quite an easy rig to use, the buttons are large enough for me to operate in the dark.  The 857 is teensy.   The ability to put 2 batteries in the 897 and go portable is truly wonderful.  I also have the LDG tuner and it works wonderfully.

For the money - the yaesu's are superbs radios.  The IC-7000 has a much more quiet receiver and better DSP.  It's also nearly twice the price.  Reliablilty-wise, the 897 and 857 are probably some of the best rigs out there.  

After having the 857 and 897 - I'd choose the 897.  It's easier to use and it's built like a tank.  The receiver is noisy, but it comes from the factory with the the pre-amp "on".  Hitting the IPO button cuts the amp off and the noise goes way down with very little loss of sensitivity.  I have an external Clear-Speech speaker and running the 897 thru it, the receiver sounds about like the 7000.  Being at the bottom of the solar cycle does not help the hash.  In the presence of decent signals - the 897 sounds great.  I agree that there are other rigs which hear "dead air" better, but if nothing's happening - turn the volume down.

To be honest, I use my Ten-Tec and Yaesu rigs more than I do the 7000.  I have used both the yaesu rigs and the 7000 in the same contests, and both hold up well.  For CW, I actually prefer the 897/857.  For SSB, I prefer the ICOM.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »

AB7JK:  How tacky of you to ask for advice, then insult someone who took the time to respond with an informed, thoughtful response!  

Although I have no experience with the two rigs you asked about, I think Caity was spot on (as always) with her advice:

"For my money the right answer is one radio for HF or HF/6m and another for VHF/UHF, at least in the home shack. That way you get performance, not compromise."

You should apologize.

Chuck  NI0C
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »

N5EAT,

Thanks for the information. My interest now is 50/144/440 SSB and FM. The FT897/FT857 seem to be the only choices without buying used or going up to satellite radios. The only mode I run on HF is PSK31/MFSK16 about 20% of the time.

As far as I understand the IPO in the Yaesus cuts out a preamp which is unneccessary in most receiver front ends anyway (sounds like an overdesign by Yaesu). Noise problem solved.

I'll be using rig control software with the Yaesu so I'll likely get the FT857D all other things being equal.

I've owned TenTecs before - great receive for long chats on SSB - just not my interest now.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »

AB7JK:  You asked for opinions.  I didn't disagree with you.  I offered an opinion based on my experience with the FT-857D in my shack.  Anyone who can read a schematic knows the FT-897D is essentially an FT-857D in a bigger box.  I can't help it if you don't like my answers but I gave you what you asked for.

Tell me, what is "my kind"?  You don't know me at all.  You've never met me so far as I know.  I have no clue what your problem is with me but I certainly did nothing to warrant a personal attack.  

What is your problem?

Caity
K7VO
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »

> As far as I understand the IPO in the Yaesus cuts
> out a preamp which is unneccessary in most
> receiver front ends anyway (sounds like an
> overdesign by Yaesu). Noise problem solved.

While the preamp does bring up both signals and atmospheric noise that is not the noise I was referring to when I said that the FT-857D has a noisy receiver.  I am talking about internally generated noise -- a high noise floor caused by the receiver design itself. Taking the preamp out of line will not change the noise floor of the receiver and will not solve any problems at all.

The preamp *is* useful for pulling out weak signals, particularly on VHF/UHF.

Caity
K7VO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:54 PM »

I'd agree with the "poor audio" report, but then this isn't limited to just these two rigs.

For example, I don't like the modulation quality of any IC-7000 I've heard yet, and I've heard dozens of them, adjusted many ways.  The old, stock, unadjusted IC-706MKIIG sounded better.

The Ten-Tecs sound awesome but the Argo V doesn't cover VHF-UHF at all.

For VHF-UHF, I'd look for a good condition FT-736R.  I've had mine since new in '87 and it's hard to beat in many ways.  Standard narrow CW filter; extremely easy to use and functional front panel; large, easy-to-read display and lighted analog meter; fully satellite worthy with crossband duplex and doppler tracking standard; absolutely excellent modulation, even with the stock hand mike (gets unsolicited compliments, every time on the air); just a really good VHF-UHF rig.  The built-in AC power supply makes it handy to use, also (although you can power it with 13.8 Vdc also, if needed).  

If I had to choose between a 10-12 year old FT-736R or a brand new, warranteed FT-897D, the choice would be fast and obvious in favor of the 736R.  

WB2WIK/6
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »

"Tell me, what is "my kind"? "

Caity - I believe he was referring to "Fabulous Babe with Brains". Personally - I think we need more like you...A ham who doesn't have a hairy beer gut (yes, i'm making a snap uninformed judgment there - i've never actually seen your beer gut...)

But back to the 897 debate.   I own an Icom 703 and it
broke 3 times.  I am now afraid to use it because i'm sure it will break.  I transmit on my 7000 with a good deal of fear.  I'd own an IC-746PRO but I'd be afraid to use it as well.  There is something to be said about having a radio that I can operate with confidence.  I have broken some Yaesu rigs before, but I really had to work at it.  I've had several Icom rigs die while in the power-off position.  Icom designs great receivers, but someone in the engineering department is making lousy parts and design choices in the transmitter designs of late.  

So when I'm operating with some abandon - I use the Ten-Tec or Yaesu rigs - I have absolutely no fear of breaking them.
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:51:08 AM »

Nothing worse than an obsessed female. The sane ones are a hand full on their own.

I see your point on Icoms. I've never heard an Icom with good audio (IC-718 too narrow, IC725 too noisy) so I've chosen to avoid them in the HF dept.
I have an Omni B that sounds great but is due for a breakdown sooner or later - the 2nd law of thermodynamics hi.
The FT840 has great audio but I've already owned two of them and I rarely go back to rigs I've had before.

The local ham radio club has an FT897D. I'll have to go twirl the knobs I guess.

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 04:47:24 PM »

> Nothing worse than an obsessed female.

Obsessed?  With what?  

N5EAT is right.  You have a problem with women.  We happen to be 52% of the population so I really suggest you get some professional help for your problem.

Clue:  you may have posed the question about which radio but you are clearly not the only one reading the forum or deriving benefit from the answers, so... like it or not, I will continue to answer questions.  You can ignore me or try and insult me (considering the source you're unlike to succeed) but I will still answer if I have experience with the subject and can contribute for the benefit of others (no, not you).  If you don't like it I am afraid that is *your* problem, not mine.
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 07:02:12 PM »

You see? Proves my point.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 02:35:53 PM »

The radios are the same electrically.  This is pointed out by the ARRL in their November 2004 review.  The review includes internal photos of the main pc board in both radios.  They are identical.

I was hesitant to respond, as you seem inclined to insult some who provide thoughtful inputs to your questions.  However, since others read these threads and can learn from them, I wanted to pass on what I observed in the ARRL review.

Phil - AD5X
N9AA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 11:12:59 PM »

Electrically, the FT-857D and FT-897D are exactly the same in all regards except their respective packaging and the fact that the FT-897D includes the optional TXCO. So, depending on your preference, you could choose either and have essentially the same rig.

Scott, N9AA
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 03:01:00 AM »

Caity you rule.

Here I am innocently reading along, about my fave rig, the 897, and come across an unpleasant harassment of a nice, helpful, professional ham (Caity) by some strange person with "issues". Sad.

There are a few of those out there, I was at an electronics surplus place the other day and some nut came up and started a weird arguement about credit cards, and some other weird stuff, and I just walked away. The nut followed me, then started harangueing some other customer. I went and got Terry, he of the tank top and big arms, to talk some sense into the nut. I guess he did (I stayed away) because the nut left toute de suite and all was peaceful among the racks of muffin fans and dust again.

These nuts get on the Internet too. And if they see someone they think they can hassle, they'll hassle them. Sort of like the elementary school bully, with a lower IQ and who sees things. I usually just direct them to www.raven1.net and tell them THEY know why the CIA is beaming rays into their heads and making all (all!) females act that way.

Getting back to the 897, it sounds like you are not overly fond of the DC to daylight rigs, and anyone who reads specs can see, there's a tradeoff. When you get DC to daylight capability, you often trade off quality in any one part of that spectrum lol! I like my 897 though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: