Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT857D and FT897D  (Read 2554 times)
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:13:21 AM »

NS6Y,

You are not a man. How do I know? You seek the approval of women and too easily defend the honor of one you don't know (K7VO and I go back some).

You are female centered so you see the world through female eyes like your mother who you hated. By hating your mother as a child her spirit took up residence in you displacing your male identity.

In addition to seeking approval of women you have problems with food/weight, substance abuse, and emotional problems. Take a look at yourself.
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 07:43:08 PM »

Caity,

I have a very strong personality. I have strong understanding, beliefs and opinions and I have no problem expressing them on the internet and(somewhat toned down)in everday life.

The internet provides an environment which allows us to go 'over the top'. It provides distance and annonimity.
It requires alot of emotional strength to read many of these posts. I've gone over the top with many things I've said to you and for those I apologize. I realize
now many were insulting.

Because of this you continue to responded to nearly every post I've placed on this site and to nearly every response I've made to other posts. However the first post you responded to wasn't even directed at you but when you became upset with me you fell.

You are locked in to me because you resent me and your resentment is growing. Resentment creates a bond, attachment, or conditioning, much like post traumatic stress disorder. As resentment(judgement)grows the bond becomes stronger.

Our bad habits and conditioning are God's way of bringing us back to the 'scene of the crime' so we can resolve them properly once and for all. Resolving them means giving up resentment (all who sin are slaves, those who forgive will be forgiven).

This will release you. It will allow you to laugh about me with your friends, forget about me, and move on.

Be well,
Kim AB7JK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 09:23:53 AM »

>RE: FT857D and FT897D       Reply
by AB7JK on May 18, 2006    Mail this to a friend!
NS6Y,

You are not a man. How do I know? You seek the approval of women and too easily defend the honor of one you don't know (K7VO and I go back some).<

::This is just brilliant.  How do I know?  Because NS6Y is a woman.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »

Steve, I could not be smiling more if someone gave me a hundred bucks.....Freud, on the other hand, must be grappling with grave doubts....
KE7HLR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »

This is the strangest thread I have ever read...

> You are not a man. How do I know?

Probably because her name is Alexandra...

> Our bad habits and conditioning are God's way of
> bringing us back to the 'scene of the crime' so we
> can resolve them properly once and for all.
> Resolving them means giving up resentment (all who
> sin are slaves, those who forgive will be
> forgiven).

Wow. Just wow.

But, getting back to the original question:

> Comparing the FT857D and FT897D which is best not
> considering portability/size differences?

They're the same radio inside. The only difference is the case.

If you want a base station (with portability option) get the 897D. If you want a mobile rig, get the 857D.

Dan KE7HLR

N3UMH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

Hey, AB7JK, buy some extremely high voltage tube gear and work on it frequently, while drunk if possible.  Stand in a bucket of grounded saltwater, too.

Yikes.

It's too bad Hollingsworth can't pull a license on the grounds of pathological personality.

------

For actual people reading this thread, I like the FT-857D so far, but I made a choice based on the HF section being at least as good as my TS-440 and the existence of the V/UHF stuff.

Top performance wasn't so much of an issue, as it's a lateral move on HF and I had nothing on 6, 2 or 432.

If I'd just been going for HF performance, I'd probably have gone for the Elecraft K2 because those RX specs make me doubt the wisdom of the FT-857D purchase, but it is certainly a useable radio.  

I feel like it would be hard to get on all those bands for the price at *any* performance level if you were buying used independent radios.  Maybe I'm wrong about that one, but as a first or only rig, it gives a lot of options of activities to try.

Dan
N3OX
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »

Ok  As an owner of an orginal 897, I have to say that I have enjoyed the radio every time I use it. It is NOT my primary radio system, but it is better than just abt everything else on the market for portability, and ruggedness. I use it for portable operations when camping, for the local CERT training sessions, field day, etc. If has preformed flawlessly for 4 years now. Yes it is NOT a contesters radio, the display is a bit small, the bells and whisltes are not there, but for what it was designed for it is darn near perfect. As far as I can see you need to decide if you want a mobile radio or a PORTABLE radio or NO radio since you have let it be known you dislike the DC-Daylight type radio. Maybe a Icom IC-910?? for the VHF/UHF frequencies? Or find a Kenwood TS-790 on the used market.
Just my opinion and thats not worth anything to anyone but me!

Dan/NØFPE

Oh I didnt comment on the male/female feud...guess it is a non issue for me....

N4EUK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

Having owned and operated many rigs since my ham radio renaissance about 12 years ago, the opinions I have read here on rigs are pretty much right on target from my viewpoint.  Even though I like the features, ICOM rigs rub me the wrong way ever since I had a 746 where the display died after about a year.  And I read way too much about their lack of reliability.

For the average ham, who can't afford one of the "super" $10K rigs (at least I can't), the Elecraft K-2, if you want HF QRP, is probably the best rig out there.  Very low noise floor and fantastic capabilities with up to 15 watts out.  I have owned that rig, the CW only K-1 and now have a CW only KX1 - which is a really tiny, self-contained - ATU, paddle, and batteries - 4 band, 2 watt rig.  There is a lot of quality in these rigs and it's fun to build them yourself.

I also have the Argo V, which I really enjoy, but may have to go as I am hitting the "too many rigs and not enough space" wall.  I did once own a Ten Tec Saturn, but it was very susceptible to RF in the shack and had to go.

I do like my 897D with internal supply.  I wouldn't use it for weak signal work, but it sure is great for all around, day to day use.  Is it the best rig out there??  Not by a long shot, but it gets the job done in a small package.  And it's just large enough that I can operate it without hitting too many buttons at once.  Menus are complex, but you get used to them.

My so-called main rig is a heavy, humongous FT-920 - probably one of the better medium priced rigs of yesteryear and very easy to use with lots of buttons to push and knobs to twist.  Reminds me of an old Hammarlund.  Fantastic audio and also built like a tank.  Too bad they are not made anymore, but everyone seems to like smaller, more features and all bands/all modes.

Whatever you have, it's only fun if you actually use it, so ham it up :-).

Steve, N4EUK
Reston, VA

W7KI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »

Um... on the subject of radios...  A big thanks to all of you for great info on these radios.  I'm going to buy a FT857D for my truck. I would like to ask antenna opinions.  ATAS ?  Or FC40 + YA007 whip ?  I have seen a lot of feedback on the internet regarding water intrusion on the ATAS so I thought the latter combo might be worth consideration.

Rich W7KI
Bend, Oregon
www.northwestradio.com
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »

<< I would like to ask antenna opinions. ATAS ? Or FC40 + YA007 whip ? >>

The only poorer excuse for an antenna than any of the ATAS is a HamStick!

Buy a REAL motorised antenna: a High Sierra, a Hi-Q, a Tarheel ...

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 03:28:35 AM »

I personally have a Little Tarheel antenna and it works very well.  The workmanship is superb.  I've kept track of the Yaesu antennas.  The first model seemed to be plagued with problems with moisture.  The newer ATAS appears to be a much better antenna.

My Tarheel will tune to almost zero swr deflection on all bands aside from 160.  And yes, it does appear to radiate on 80 as i've made quite a few contacts on that band.
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 06:15:12 AM »

AB7JK I have two FT-857d's and one FT-897d.  I have found that when programming the FT-897d and the FT-857d, they both program exactly the same.  I also have the FC-30 for the 897d which is the auto tuner just in case it is needed.

I bought both 857d's one for my camping trailer and one for my pickup truck.

The FT-897d is there as a spare to my TS-2000.  Read up on both decide what you want it for and go for it from there.  Like I said they both program exactly the same and the programming is really simple, just make sure you have the manual handy for help if you need it.

I've had no negative reports on either radio.

Go ahead buy one, heckels buy two and if you have a need buy three, one FT-897d and two FT-857d's....

With that:

73's have fun deciding and when you do buy one or two good luck.

Mike, N0mud
KC0ROM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 03:15:23 AM »

AS FOR THE DC TO DAYLIGHT RIGS I THINK EVERYONE KNOWS IT IS A COMPROMISE TO PUT ALL OF THOSE GOODIES IN ONE BASKET AND TO EXPECT OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE,MONO BAND RADIOS WILL TEND TO GIVE BETTER PERFORMANCE AS A WHOLE BECAUSE THEY ARE EASIER TO OPTIMIZE,BUT THE OFFERINGS FROM THE MANUFACTURERS ARE IMPROVING WITH TIME AS TECHNOLOGY EVOLVES AND THESE RIGS,IE THE 857D,897 ,706,7000 ETC. ARE A FAR CRY FROM THE OLD RIGS WITH THE PLUG IN MODULES,ENOUGH ABOUT THAT,TO QUESTION SOMEONES MAN HOOD OR WOMANHOOD WHICHEVER BE THE CASE IS SCHOOLYARD BULL**** AND THESE POSTS ARE NOT THE TIME AND PLACE TO ATTACK PEOPLE, MANY PEOPLES FIRST OPINIONS OF AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS ARE FORMED BY WHAT THEY READ HERE,SO PLEASE THINK ABOUT THAT.  73'S  KC0ROM SCOTT IN MISSOURI
WB1AEX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »

Very interesting thread here... At any rate, I will echo what others have said about the 857/897 rigs. They use the same mainboard mounted in different boxes. I own an FT897D and love it.

Regarding Caity's comment about the audio on 6 meters, she is correct, many of these rigs appear to exhibit audio problems on 6 meters and the higher HF bands in SSB mode. However, the issue that often causes this is a result of factory setup errors in the idling current of the pre-driver, driver, exciter, and PA. In my own rig, the exciter was idling at cut off, one transistor was set to idle at 10 ma and the other transistor was idling at 70 ma. Each of those should have been set at 100 ma for a total of 200 ma resting current. My PA stage was idling at 82 ma, it should have been set at 300 ma! The audio sounded very gritty, distorted, and muffled in SSB mode on the upper bands, and on 6 meters I was nearly unreadable. Two of my local friends had purchased 897D rigs around the same time as me, and their settings were as bad as mine. Many times this problem will be reported as RF feedback, but this nastiness is often simply misadjustment at the factory. Fortunately, it only takes about 20 minutes to go through the alignment procedure and correct this. If you have downloaded the service manual, the procedure is explained on pages 12 and 15. If you don't have access to the service manual, I have instructions and photos here:

http://members.cox.net/wb1aex/897idle.html

I have heard from over thirty FT857/897 owners who have found similar misadjustment in their rigs. I hear many more on the air who sound terrible. The truth is, when they are adjusted to idle correctly, the radios sound absolutely terrific.

Rob WB1AEX
M0ITY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »

Hi Caity,
hello all.

I do have following rigs:
FT817, 897 and had 857D.
817 was my first rig as i had not enough money.
To be honest i am more VHF/UHF op and I found that RX in
8X7 series is just very very good. I was using ft817+ 4cx250B amp + 8874s amp with outstanding results, even i n contests in OK2 (btw. VHF contests ik OK1/OK2 means 100's multi op's with 1500W and more in country size of orange) so QRM alley all the way through.
But back to 857 897.
Caity said already, and that's true, that 897 is larger box+batteries on top of 857. 857 does not have DSP (D does) and 897 does as standard. They both are good rigs, but if you want rig with proper dial knob, larger heath sink and easy to use buttons, go for 897. If you will use it in car or very small shack, 857d will do you same job.
I just want to remind that 897 is realy built like a tank. I had bad car accident and went few times over the roof of my van and 897 was on passenger seat. I broke dial knob and thats it. Works 100%, just needed encoder and plastic bit on front for few bucks from yaesu.

Have all great day and see you soon on bands.

PS: Caity very nice comments, but there's always way around and mods.  But thats for another topic hihi.

Jiri
M0ITY / OK2IT
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: