Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC718 rig  (Read 878 times)
KC6SLA

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »

I currently have an Icom IC735 rig and am considering getting and Icom IC718 to replace it. The 735 works well but I am wondering if there are any real benefits to getting the 718 as it is an equal rig just newer technology.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:19:08 AM »

K3
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »

If the 735 is still in good shape and reliable, there isn't much advantage.  The big dividing line in new vs old rigs is IF DSP.  New rigs with IF DSP will be for the most part, better than the conventional crystal filter based rigs (new and old).  If you want to replace the 735, consider an IF DSP radio.

There are many to choose from.  You will need to save your pennys though.  They will be between 3 to 4 times more expensive than a 718.  Consider a TS-2000, IC 746, IC 756, FT950, or even a K3.

I own a TS-870 which is the grand daddy of the ts 2000.  Its a great rig.  Also own a ic-7000 which is a great mobile rig.

Read the reviews on eham.  Disregard the rating numbers and read the reviews concerning the warts on the various rigs.  The ones with fewer warts are the great rigs.
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »

After a 10 year absence from the hobby I bought an IC-718 and was pretty frustrated with its basic performance (to be clear it is not an IF-DSP transceiver).  Unless your IC-735 is having problems, you will be downgrading to the IC-718.

Whether you should spend the extra money on an IF-DSP radio depends on whether you want additional filtering, since this will add a few hundred dollars on top of the base price.  Also, with 6m becoming standard in transceivers, I would consider that as a factor.

The FT-450 is an affordable radio that you may want to look into.  It may also be worthwhile waiting for the IC-7200 to become available, then another 6 months for the coupon.

Otherwise, the best way I have found to choose a transceiver is to pick one up at a fair price on the used market.  If I don't like it then it is never a problem to sell it with only a loss on shipping and try another.

Best,

Anthony
NR9R
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »

I'd stick with the 735 if it has no problems and keep saving for a higher-end transceiver than the 718.

Having owned both, I agree the 718 offers no new features you don't already have, save perhaps the front-firing speaker.  I always use headphones, so that means nothing to me!

WB2WIK/6
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

I have had a 735 - it's a very good radio.  

As others have said, save your money towards a better radio than the 718 so you get a step up in performance and features.
KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »

Is the IC746 a good idea? I currently have a Hustler BTV-4 with only 6 or 8 random length radials and it is ground mounted. I am limited as to what I can put up for an antenna and I know I could use a few more radials. Would I be wasting my money on a better rig? Also how many radials on the vertical minimum before I see a real difference? Would adding a pre-amp help with what I am lacking in antenna?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »

The IC-746 is my back up radio and after all these years is still a better radio than the IC-718. The best bang for the buck in your situation however is an antenna improvement. I don't know what options you have available, but a ground mounted 4BTV with less than at least 20 radials 25' or longer is not very effective. With lots of ground clutter or less than ideal elevation, you would be better off with a low doublet.

73 de Lindy
W7MJM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

If you mount the 4BTV on a 10 foot pole and raise the radials (keeping the radial ends insulated and out of reach of curious hands for safety's sake) you'll experience a significant improvement in your antenna's efficiency.

At that height, for 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters, even a couple of quarter-wave resonant radials per band (you can even get away with using the 40 meter radials on 15, thereby reducing your total radial count to 6) will generally perform better than 8 radials on the ground.

If you prefer to mount the 4BTV at ground level, lay down as many radials as possible. Going from 8 to 16, you should see an improvement. Even more ground mounted radials will yield better efficiency, but at a diminishing rate. At ground level, the radials need not be resonant.

I've gone the raised radial route with my 6BTV and have been very pleased with the results on 40 through 10.

KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like adding radials to my antenna would be a great help. Also going to a 718 would do nothing for me as my antenna is not the best and I know the best radio would be nothing if the antenna is average. Maybe I will wait until I add radials and can afford something with IF filters like a 746.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: