The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desk recommendation for you  (Read 2238 times)
NK5G

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

Hi All,

I had been searching for some time for a new desk as part of my shack remodeling project.

Lots of choices out there and I thought I would share the one I found incase someone else is looking.

The Mayline Aberdeen 72-inch Cherry Conference Front Desk at Overstock.com is a nice desk. No drawers, but it is 6 feet wide and just over 3 feet deep. Nice and sturdy as well. Good value for the money compared to desks of the same size.

Here is the link:

http://www.overstock.com/Office-Furniture/Mayline-Aberdeen-72-inch-Cherry-Conference-Front-Desk/3295063/product.html

N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »

I just re did my shack also. I used some inexpensive cabinets from the Home Cheapo and premade counter top.
A couple of wall cabinets, some new recessed lights and I have a nice cozy shack. The wife says I can move in to it if I want....hmmm What do you think that means?

Whole project about $600.

Paul N1QOQ
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:53 PM »

I agree that 36" deep is enough - I demand an overshelf myself.

72" is OK, if I could have my desk 96" now, I probably would - or 4 rack modules wide <G>.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »

IF your like me it won't matter, a year from now it will be way too small (:-)

73 de Lindy
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:18:07 AM »

>>>I agree that 36" deep is enough - I demand an overshelf myself.

Actually, I think that 36" deep is the acceptable minimum depth.  I would much rather have something closer to 40 inches or maybe even a little more.

Right now, I have 36 inch deep tables (sort of trestle style) from IKEA that I bought for $99 each (metal frame and legs and laminated sturdy table surface).  But, with some of my equipment that needs 18 inches of that depth, I am left with only about 18 inches in front of the equipment and when you have a laptop or other stuff on the desk top, it starts to get crowded.  Unfortunately, finding a table or desk surface with more then 36 inches of depth is difficult and likely expensive.  This is why home-brewing such a configuration is the next solution I will use.  Photos of my current IKEA "desks" in my shack on my web site (www.k7peh.com).
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

A classic ham desk is a 36 inch flush hollow core door set onto two two-drawer cabinets. The ones I use for my computer desk are two shallow drawers over  a file drawer. They were about $35.00 each about 10 yrs ago. The door came from Mr Second and was about $8.00. Hollow core doors can be shortened by cutting off one end and then making a lug piece to flush out the cut end. You have to remove some of the honeycomb material that is in the way. Water base or oil base polyurethane varnish makes a nice finish. With the water base you can build up the entire finish in one day as it dries quickly. Of course you can use solid core doors as well, but they are heavy and more expensive. With proper support hollow core doors are adaquate.

Before you go that route, check used office furniture stores for desks or modular office furniture that can be repurposed. There is lots of used furniture out there now.

You will need some riser shelves which can be bought ready made or made easily at home. Plan out your station layout and then go shopping. Flush closet bi-fold doors make good shelves. Use enough supports and some edge banding for strength and you will not have sagging problems. Stair treads are good shelf material if the shelf can be shallow. Used butcher block tops from restaurant supply stores make really stout shelves, desk tops, and benches.

There is no need to spend a fortune to get what you want.

73 de Walt N2IK
KB2IUA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

If you have an Ikea near by check out some of the desk/table tops that are have a shelf on the back.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »

At one time, I used an Ikea trestle desk with an FL-7000, standard sized transceiver, paddles, monitor, tuner and various office items on the surface. The tower type computer was under the desk. It made a very comfortable station, with no stacking except for the monitor on the XCVR.  If you were going to start adding some boatanchor equipment, you might run out of room quickly.  The great thing about those desks is they take the weight, and look nice, and are a bargain.  I just relocated my current shack from the cold basement to a space in my den, building the desktop into a closet with tabletop of 67 inches wide, 30 inches deep. It's less than ideal, but beats 50 degree temperatures in January down there.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »

A hint:

Regardless of your choice of desk design, I've found that using "L" shaped PL258/SO239 adapters on the back of all my RF equipment allows me to push the rigs back about 4-5 additional inches on the desk top.  With the coax running down from the equipment, rather than straight back, I get a little more writing and keyboard space on the desktop.

Just my 2 cents.

73 de Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: